Clearing memory (ram) for xp

Hello, my computer is always on and after a while its getting slower and
somtimes it runs out of memory, after restarting evrything is again ok, but
is there a way to clear the ram memory and if nessesary the virtual memory ?
Pc: winxp sp2, 2.4 ghz, ram : 1 gb. virtual : 855 mb
thx for the answers....
Gerard

Jim

?
Pc: winxp sp2, 2.4 ghz, ram : 1 gb. virtual : 855 mb
thx for the answers....
Gerard
No, you can't clear RAM.

However, your problem could be caused by malware. Thus, you should insure
that you are running AV software (only one) and such other checkers as
AdAware and Spybot.

Another source of your problem could be a memory leak in at least one of the
commonly used programs.

Jim

Gerry

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

How large is your hard disk and how much free space. Right click on
your C drive in Windows and select Properties to get this information.

How much RAM memory?

Use page file monitor to observe what is the peak usage. Start it to run
immediately after start-up and look at the log. Pagefilemon takes
snapshots. You need to run it at the beginning of the session at then
run it again at intervals throughout the sessions. The log is Pagefile
log.txt. If you right click on the file in Windows Explorer and select
Send to, Desktop (Create Shortcut). The same applies to
XP_PageFileMon.exe.

A small utility to monitor pagefile usage:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

Note programs using undo features, particularly those associated with
graphics and photo editing, require large amounts of memory so if you
use this type of programme check these first observing how the page
usage increases when they start and whether the usage decreases when you
close the programme.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerard said:
Hello, my computer is always on and after a while its getting slower and
somtimes it runs out of memory, after restarting evrything is again ok, but
is there a way to clear the ram memory and if nessesary the virtual memory ?
Pc: winxp sp2, 2.4 ghz, ram : 1 gb. virtual : 855 mb
thx for the answers....
Gerard

From the decription of your use of the computer it could of course be
malware, as written by Jim, as well as a function of the work-load (or other
possible causes).

With RAM - and "virtual memory" (which I from your post interpret be the
page file) size as detailed, I would say that the size of the virtual memory
would be adequate for a normal use of the computer. However may use of
multiple applications require increased need of memory. Your statement "after
restarting everything is again ok" COULD indicate that the virtual memory in
your case is at its limits, as the page file is regenerated at each boot and
thus will provide "refreshed" memory capacity.

There's an excellent article, "Virtual Memory in Windows XP", written by
Alex Nichol, to be found on James A. Eshelman WEB Site:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

The size of the page file may either be controlled by the system, or custom
sized. To configure the page file:

Click Start, Control Panel and System. In the System Properties dialog box,
click the Advanced tab. In the Performance pane, click Settings. In the
Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab. In the Virtual memory
pane, click Change.

Note whether the box in front of Custom - or System is checked. In case it
is configured for custom setting, note the current sizes and change the
Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, 768 / 1536
as an example (given the current settings are lower), click Set, and then
click OK. Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then
click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

You will find articles and advices that recommend "System" set size of the
page file, and others "Customized" set size.

A condition for increasing the page file is that there is available space on
your hard disk. "Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312/en-us

Regards,
Ka2H

here is some info you all asked for :

Mem.Total : 1208 Mb
Limit : 2523 Mb
Piek : 1292 Mb
Ram : 1046 Mb
Current pfu : 605 MB
Peak : 618 Mb
Current pfs : 1536

best regard,
Gerard

Gerry

Gerard

Can you restart your computer and provide the same figures. Your system
seems to be using a large amount of memory?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerard said:
here is some info you all asked for :

Mem.Total : 1208 Mb
Limit : 2523 Mb
Piek : 1292 Mb
Ram : 1046 Mb
Current pfu : 605 MB
Peak : 618 Mb
Current pfs : 1536

best regard,
Gerard

Gerard,
Nothing wrong with the virtual memory from the detailed figures - as far as
I understand them. For my clarification, could you kindly explain what "pfu"
and "pfs" stands for?

Select the Task Manager, let it stay there and note the use of Page File
graph - and log as the computer gets slower and eventually runs out of
memory. If the slow down is caused by lack of Virtual Memory, is the Page
File the only one which is being "cleared", thus providing the "after
restarting everything is again ok". This as a fault isolation measure.

Regards,
Ka2H

Dallas Overturf

Something I ran into totoally by guess on my nieces computer a while back
was that she was using hiberation to shutdown;
a week or two of that slowed things down considerably; my guess from the
logs was that memory was not being released and said it would be
on shutdown... I had her shutdown to power off and do a "real" reboot.
All worked fine after that.

Ran into this a 2nd time by chance a few months later while on the phone to
Customer assitance to somewher; the gal was apologizing
for slow computer... I asked her how she shut it down; sure enough same as
my niece using hibernation at night for a fast reboot come morning!

I suggested she try a real shutdown at night. She called me back 15 minutes
later to thank me.

Not sure your problem is this but if you have any hibernation going on; try
disabling it.

Regards, Dallas...

--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf/index.html
Newsgroups to reply to me me via email, please fix the email address