Clear History not completely deleting

e & f

Hello

When I clear History, a couple of visited sites remain and appear when
entering a fresh new address into the address box.

Any suggestions as to why these have remained, and everything else has gone?

TIA

e & f

Helo

Thanks for your help, but it did not work.

I've since realised it's not websites which are reappearing in the address
bar, but files and programs

If I type the letter "a" up comes two AVI files programs and by broadband
connection hardware!

How do these things appear in the address window?

TIA

DVarnau said:
You probably have corruption in the History folder or it's index.dat file.

Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
History folder (and the index.dat file) and a new one will be created when
you restart.
Or the History folder can be deleted manually:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Regards,
Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

e & f said:
Hello

When I clear History, a couple of visited sites remain and appear when
entering a fresh new address into the address box.

Any suggestions as to why these have remained, and everything else has gone?

TIA

DVarnau

Hmmmm... seems like deleting the History folder would clear these. IE6 keeps
a Computer folder in the History folder.

Are these in recent documents? Start> Documents?

Are they in the TypedURLs key in the registry?
157729 - How to Clear the History Entries in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q157729

What's the OS? Which version of Windows?

Don
- - - - - -

e & f said:
Hello

When I clear History, a couple of visited sites remain and appear when
entering a fresh new address into the address box.

Any suggestions as to why these have remained, and everything else has gone?

TIA

Igor

I share your frustration. After clearing history and
deleting cookies and the temp internet files. I even went
as far as deleting the c:\document and
settings\username\local settings\temp folder. I still
see some cached web addresses in the drop down of the
address box.

Igor