Recently, when deleting some email rules, a new rule mysteriously appeared
with the name "Clear categories on mail (recommended)". I cannot delete this
new rule and I don't understand what it means or what to do about it. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

J

Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)

That's a new Rule that seems to be on by default in 2007. What it does is
remove Categories from incoming emails. So if a sender has Categorised an
email they send you, it strips the Category from it.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant www.pragmatix.com.au
My suggested settings for Outlook 2003 are FREE on my website.

R

Roger

When I "upgraded" by uninstalling OL07 (after 2 days of problems) and reinstalled OL03, I had the same problem. This fix in OL03 worked for me:

1. Back up your rules and alerts (Tools - Rules and Alerts... - E-mail Rules - Options - Export Rules... {save it with a name in a place you will remember})

2. Close Outlook

3. Run "outlook /cleanrules" (start - Run... and type "outlook /cleanrules" {not the quotes} and click "Ok")

4. OL03 will open as usual, but all rules will be gone. Import the rules you saved in step 1 (Tools - Rules and Alerts... - E-Mail Rules - Options - Import Rules... {using the file you saved in step 1})

5. Go to "Rules and Alerts..." and you will still see the rule "Clear categories on mail (recommended)", but now you'll be able to delete it.

Regards,
Roger =)

R

Richard

I had a client here delete his using outlook 2003 w/SP3 on XP w/SP3. We are using exchange 2003. How do you re-create this rule?

Ask a Question