Clean install queston?

Bob K

Hi Folks,

I want to do a clean install of XP Pro. I have Win98 on a second drive D.

Do I need to FDISK drive C or does WinXP give the option to wipe drive c
before it begins?

Also, If Win98 is on the second drive, will a clean install of XP on drive c
give me a clean registry or will it still me cluttered with the Win98 stuff
anyway?

Thanks,

Rob

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Multibooting with Windows XP: Installing Windows XP with MS-DOS, Windows 95,
Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/meandxp.asp

How do I install Windows® 98/Me after I've installed XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Bob K" ergibob@Remove This]sonic.net wrote in message:

| Hi Folks,
|
| I want to do a clean install of XP Pro. I have Win98 on a second drive D.
|
| Do I need to FDISK drive C or does WinXP give the option to wipe drive c
| before it begins?
|
| Also, If Win98 is on the second drive, will a clean install of XP on drive c
| give me a clean registry or will it still me cluttered with the Win98 stuff
| anyway?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rob

Bob K

Thank you Carey,

That was helpful. Another question has to do with multiboot (I read the
info).

I have BootIt boot manager with two physical hard drives and a duplicate
backup of my Win98 on the second drive. So there are two identical operating
systems, programs, and data on each drive.

I am wondering if I should do a clean install of XPpro on my C drive or my D
drive? My thought is to install on the C drive and create a duplicate backup
on my D drive once I have it all set up. Does that make sense or should I
install XP on the D drive with the intent of copying the whole thing back to
the C drive when up and running?

Thanks,

Bob

| Multibooting with Windows XP: Installing Windows XP with MS-DOS, Windows
95,
| Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/meandxp.asp

| How do I install Windows® 98/Me after I've installed XP?
| http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
|
| Be Smart! Protect your PC!
| http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

----------------

| "Bob K" ergibob@Remove This]sonic.net wrote in message:
| |
| | Hi Folks,
| |
| | I want to do a clean install of XP Pro. I have Win98 on a second drive
D.
| |
| | Do I need to FDISK drive C or does WinXP give the option to wipe drive c
| | before it begins?
| |
| | Also, If Win98 is on the second drive, will a clean install of XP on
drive c
| | give me a clean registry or will it still me cluttered with the Win98
stuff
| | anyway?
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Rob

Robert

I too am looking for an answer to your question: "Do I
need to FDISK drive C or does WinXP give the option to
wipe drive c before it begins?" I have installed 3 times
now and the c: drive still has a bunch of old files and
folders on it. I am choosing the Advanced install that
says I will loose all of my data if I continue, but no
such luck. I want everything gone (i.e. completely wipe
the HD clean) and then a fresh install of XP. Anybody
know how to do this?

Thanks,
Robert

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

FDisk is an old MS-DOS utility that is neither available nor
needed in WinXP.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered
the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of
the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: