Classic all time problem

Reaction score
A good friend of mine said he was having problems with a pc of his could i look at it for him. "Sure i said whats wrong?"

"oh slow loading programs and stuttering on the screen"

"ok" i said pass it over

So on inspection eveything seemed fine. Ahh, onboard graphics, No driver showing. Well that will explain the stuttering!

Quick defrag and clean with Ccleaner sort program problem aswell 1.3gig of rubbish floating around.

Anyway started installing drivers for Graphics. Wouldnt let me! Hmmm.
Ok in BIOS changed shared memory and rebooted. It booted fine. I think! however no picture on screen and power light was functioning, weird!

Back into BIOS changed to defaults, rebooted nothing!

I mean nothing! The hard drive wont even spin!

Took out drive tried it in my machine. Its dead wont even power up!!

OMFG its a Deskstar!!!!!!!! And it's died with a lot of stuff on it. Important stuff

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bummer.

Is that an IBM Deskstar or the new Hitachi range?

I ask as the new range of Hitachi Deskstars have had good reports and are fine drives.

I have two x 250Gb Hitachi drives for storage (see sig).

So for obvious reasons I'm interested :)

As for the original IBM range, there was more deaths amongst that population than all the bodies in the great London plague of 1665.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
:eek: Uh-oh :eek:

Oh well, just reinforces my belief that it's not so much a brand that fails so much as a manufacturing batch.

Although I must confess Western Digital are doing their damndest to prove me wrong on that one ;)

Ask a Question