Chkdsk starts sometimes when I reboot?

G

Hello all...
this is annoying, but about 50% of the time when I reboot, I get the chkdsk
xp screen that says that the "consistancy" of my HD must be tested...and
while step 1 is like 5 seconds, the step 2 part takes like 5 minutes...I
think it may have to do with the "indexing" of that new HD...

but why? and how can I setup the HD so that this doesn't happen half the
times I reboot???

Jim

T

thecreator

Hi Jim,

For right now, click Start then open My Computer. Right-click the Hard Drive containing operating system. Click on Properties then click Tools. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. Checked both choices and click Start then click Yes to schedule.

By checking both, you check the Hard Drive Surface for bad sectors.

For the future, when installing a new Hard Drive, the partition on which the operating system resides should be no larger than to hold the operating system, itself and some programs. It should be between 20 GB and 40 GB in size. New Hard Drives can be from 300 to 500 GB in size and to run a complete chkdsk scan of that size, would take very long. The smaller size partition on a large Hard Drive the better.

You always should allow the recommended chkdsk scan, because svchost.exe controls the Automatic Updates for Windows and if the Hard Drive information is wrong can lead to high CPU Usage for Svchost.exe. Just my opinion thru experience. Also keep your \Temp folders as empty as possible, leaving only in use files and sub-folders.

Ask a Question