Chart Data Table, Data Range, etc. do not update on Chart

G

I have two Excel Workbooks. Workbook 1 contains the data and a line chart. Workbook 2 contains just a line chart of the same data as in Workbook 1. I copied the line chart from workbook 1 to workbook 2 using copy/paste. If the amounts change with in the existing data range then both line charts (workbook 1 & workbook 2) update fine. However, when I need to change the range of the data to include more cells only the line chart in workbook 1 is updated. The line chart in workbook two does not reflect the changes to the data range made to the line chart in workbook 1. What is the best way to get aound this. My goal is to only have to update in one place.

T

Tushar Mehta

How are you changing the chart in book 1 when the data range increases?

When you click on the plotted series in each chart (in book 1 and book
2, respectively) what is the equation you see in the formula bar?

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

I have two Excel Workbooks. Workbook 1 contains the data and a line chart. Workbook 2 contains just a line chart of the same data as in Workbook 1. I copied the line chart from workbook 1 to workbook 2 using copy/paste. If the amounts change with in the existing data range then both line charts (workbook 1 & workbook 2) update fine. However, when I need to change the range of the data to include more cells
only the line chart in workbook 1 is updated. The line chart in workbook two does not reflect the changes to the data range made to the line chart in workbook 1. What is the best way to get aound this. My goal is to only have to update in one place.

J

Jon Peltier

Richard -

Do you mean you're changing the size of the data range in the chart in
workbook 1? The chart in Workbook 2 has no way of knowing what the
range is for the chart in workbook 2.

You could use dynamic ranges to define the X and Y values for the
series, so that you change the range not by the source data dialog, but
by changing some parameters in the data sheet that affect the start and
end row and the appropriate column for your series. Then if both charts
refer to the same defined ranges, when the range is updated, both charts
should update.

For more on dynamic charts:

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
(a few examples and many links)
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=246
(another of my examples in TechTrax ezine)

- Jon

G

Tushar & Jon,

Thank you both for your reply. I was manually adjusting the ranges in workbook 1. I will follow Jon's advice and try and create some dymanic ranges that will update both charts.

Ask a Question