Changing username

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it possible to do this if the username is in use but not been used for some time? I want the username Andrew :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry Andrew, but I can't do that I'm afraid.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Andrew C is cool ...just imagine Vitamin losing its C ...just wouldn`t be the same :)

Reaction score
Losing your bits

Yeah, imagine all the kids taking XT goin to the clubs on sat. nights LOL

:lol: Zzzzz

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

Why not?

Last Activity: 16-02-2003 05:10 PM

This is not me being an arse, but you have not justified your decision. After configuring vBullitin a couple of years back, i know it can be done.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That say's it all!
Rules are rules & Ian's the boss.
If you don't like it you can always throw your teddy out the pram & leave.:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is a matter between Andrew and Ian and nobody else.

I'd ask you, Andrew, to conduct all future correpondence via Private Message.

Thank you :)

Thread closed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just opening up this message so everyone knows why - yes, it is easy to do in vBulletin under normal circumstances. The rule applies to everyone, even one of the mods wanted a username change and I had to say no. I'd even like to change my own username to "Ian" with hindsight.

However there are 3 reasons why:
  • As you noticed, someone already has the username Andrew (and as it happens, I've known the guy for 10 years! He was the 7th person to sign up) I can't just reshuffle usernames about, especially when the one you want is already taken.
  • The showthread pages are now cached manually (see here), so it would mean I'd need to re-cache them if a username changes (and it would slow the server to a crawl for hours doing this.
  • Changing usernames is very confusing for others, and if I allowed one I'd need to allow them all. One member here changed his username a few years ago when the post cache wasn't active, and then I had a flood of requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question