Changing small NTFS 512b Cluster Size after FAT32 Conversion

J

John Smith

Using Windows XP Pro, I ended up with small 512b clusters on my 80 gb C:\windows drive after
converting from FAT32 to NTSF using Convert.exe and I understand that this usually happens
if when using Convert.exe (particularly if there is data on the drive). I would like to
get the cluster size back up to the NTFS default 4k size. I also have two other 40 gb FAT32
logical drives D and E on a separate physical 80 gb internal HD. The two logicals contain
data only and I have not yet converted them from FAT32, but also wish to ensure I end up
with standard NTFS 4k clusters instead of smaller 512b clusters.

Would this two-step approach work:

1. Rather than using Convert.exe on drives D and E, I first image the two logical partitions
D and E to my external HD using Ghost 2003 and then simply reformat D and E under Windows XP
Pro as NTSF (specifying the default cluster size of 4k). Then I restore the imaged data back
to D and E. This seems like it would work but I'd like to check with the experts here
first.

2. For the more problematic case of my windows XP drive C, could I also image it to my
external HD and then completely reformat my booting C windows drive by using either:

A. Some kind of NTFS clean reformatting utility that works without booting into Windows XP?

B. Boot from my CD using my Windows XP Pro CD and somehow get it to do a clean NTFS
reformatting that ends up with 4k clusters, but NOT reinstall XP because I would want to
restore my C drive XP installation from the image I created?

C. Use Partition Magic 8 (which I do have, but never yet installed or used it) to simply
change cluster size without a standard reformatting?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The easiest method to resize clusters is to use Partition Magic 8.
Once it is installed, open the program, click on a partition, then
from the Partition Magic toolbar select:

Partition > Advanced > Resize Clusters

Additional info can be found in the Partition Magic help files.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

| Using Windows XP Pro, I ended up with small 512b clusters on my 80 gb C:\windows drive after
| converting from FAT32 to NTSF using Convert.exe and I understand that this usually happens
| if when using Convert.exe (particularly if there is data on the drive). I would like to
| get the cluster size back up to the NTFS default 4k size. I also have two other 40 gb FAT32
| logical drives D and E on a separate physical 80 gb internal HD. The two logicals contain
| data only and I have not yet converted them from FAT32, but also wish to ensure I end up
| with standard NTFS 4k clusters instead of smaller 512b clusters.
|
| Would this two-step approach work:
|
| 1. Rather than using Convert.exe on drives D and E, I first image the two logical partitions
| D and E to my external HD using Ghost 2003 and then simply reformat D and E under Windows XP
| Pro as NTSF (specifying the default cluster size of 4k). Then I restore the imaged data back
| to D and E. This seems like it would work but I'd like to check with the experts here
| first.
|
| 2. For the more problematic case of my windows XP drive C, could I also image it to my
| external HD and then completely reformat my booting C windows drive by using either:
|
| A. Some kind of NTFS clean reformatting utility that works without booting into Windows XP?
|
| B. Boot from my CD using my Windows XP Pro CD and somehow get it to do a clean NTFS
| reformatting that ends up with 4k clusters, but NOT reinstall XP because I would want to
| restore my C drive XP installation from the image I created?
|
| C. Use Partition Magic 8 (which I do have, but never yet installed or used it) to simply
| change cluster size without a standard reformatting?
|
| Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks.

J

John Smith

Yes, thank you regarding the ease of using PM 8 .... however, would any of my other options
also be feasible?

JS

C

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:35:50 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
The easiest method to resize clusters is to use Partition Magic 8.
Once it is installed, open the program, click on a partition, then
from the Partition Magic toolbar select:
Partition > Advanced > Resize Clusters
Additional info can be found in the Partition Magic help files.

If you find PM's pricing hard tio stomach, use BING instead. BING
does the same things as PM, and you don't have to install it as boot
manager in order to use its partition management and imaging features.

BING is also smart enough to ask you, when setting up FATxx partitions
and volumes, whether you (ever) intend converting to NTFS. If you Yes
that prompt, BING aligns the partition or volume so that should it be
converted to NTFS in the future, you will not get 512-byte clusters.

That is, after all, the issue involved here. It's not that there are
files on the volume you are converting, it's that the volume is not
aligned (in terms of the HD's geometry) in such a way that NTFS can
work with cluster sizes other than 512 bytes.

--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Dreams are stack dumps of the soul

J

John Smith

I already had PM 8.0 and was just wondering if my other plans would work if PM 8.0 caused
problems.

Anyway, I installed PM 8.0 tonight and then patched it up to 8.01 and everything went fine.
Thanks.

JS

Ask a Question