changing primary computer for XP home network ?

M

Mary Fowler Leek

I currently have DSL service and have networked my home computers. Please bear with me as I'm not well versed in networking computers. We currently have the primary (older desktop), a laptop (secondary) networked by wireless, and the newer desktop (secondary) networked by cable.

My "primary" computer, the one the router and DSL modem are first connected to, is one I'd like to now make a secondary, in order to use the newer desktop as primary. Do I just switch computers at the modem and router connections or are there settings that have to be redone? My network hardware is older MS equipment.

I'd still like to use the older desktop on the home network, but move it to my son's bedroom for his use.

My thanks for your most helpful assistance.

~Mary
mleek at arkwest dot com
mmleek at hotmail dot com

M

Mark L. Ferguson

Not much to worry about, Mary. Unplug the wire from any computer at the router, and plug it back into any other router port, as you
wish. The router does the work of DHCP to assign IP to each workgroup member, on demand. The modem basically stays the same.

Go to start/run, and type CMD, and at that prompt: IPCONFIG
Your "Default Gateway" is the router address (e.g. http://192.168.0.1 ) Open this in the browser to manage the router settings.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
I currently have DSL service and have networked my home computers. Please bear with me as I'm not well versed in networking
computers. We currently have the primary (older desktop), a laptop (secondary) networked by wireless, and the newer desktop
(secondary) networked by cable.

My "primary" computer, the one the router and DSL modem are first connected to, is one I'd like to now make a secondary, in order to
use the newer desktop as primary. Do I just switch computers at the modem and router connections or are there settings that have to
be redone? My network hardware is older MS equipment.

I'd still like to use the older desktop on the home network, but move it to my son's bedroom for his use.

My thanks for your most helpful assistance.

~Mary
mleek at arkwest dot com
mmleek at hotmail dot com

Ask a Question