Changing motherboards with RAID0

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

I plan to install RAID0 next week on an Asus A7V8X m/b system. Some time
later this year I hope to change out to a A8V socket 939 board. Question:
will I be able to simply disconnect/reconnect the RAID0 drives to the new
board similar to being able to disconnect/reconnect IDE drives and be up and
running w/o other drive related adjustments? Since the original install will
require F6 and drivers to be installed from the A7V8X CD I'm guessing this
operation will get messier than IDE switches.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Mercury

Doubt it completely - unless u use a PCI card RAID and take it with you then
do a repair XP Install as first boot.

I would ditch the raid 0 first and revert to a single ordinary drive if you
can then when you get the new mobo consider the options. Oh, and have a
backup :)

You will have to do a repair XP install moving to such a different mobo -
either that or a fresh install.

DaveW

WHENEVER you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer, then you MUST
refomat the harddrive, yes even if it's RAID 0, and do a fresh install of
the OS. Otherwise you face ongoing nasty Registry errors and data
corruption.

Tim

Dave always says this and obviously has yet to try an XP Repair install.
You do not have to reformat etc. If your system is clean and tidy (IE no
viruses etc) then a repair is just fine.

Do not attempt to boot your HD without doing the repair first and do not
give any credence at all to any wives tales about deleting registry entries.
The Repair fixes it up for you.

When you are ready to do it, do some research and find accurate
documentation on how to do a repair. Repair is the method MS supports for
this.

Colonel Blip

Hello, Tim!
You wrote on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:29:54 +1300:

Familiar with repair for other reasons. Actually, not as concerned about the
RAID0 arrar as I am about my dual boot (other) drive, which currently has
several partitions and lots of 'stuff' on it. I plan to keep the raid
limited to OS/Programs and expendable stuff and so even if I had to start
over on it (assuming I don't wait too long for the new m/b purchase) it
would not be a major problem.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

T> Dave always says this and obviously has yet to try an XP Repair install.
T> You do not have to reformat etc. If your system is clean and tidy (IE no
T> viruses etc) then a repair is just fine.

T> Do not attempt to boot your HD without doing the repair first and do not
T> give any credence at all to any wives tales about deleting registry
T> entries. The Repair fixes it up for you.

T> When you are ready to do it, do some research and find accurate
T> documentation on how to do a repair. Repair is the method MS supports
T> for this.

T> ??>> WHENEVER you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer, then you

Augustus

Tim said:
Dave always says this and obviously has yet to try an XP Repair install.
You do not have to reformat etc. If your system is clean and tidy (IE no
viruses etc) then a repair is just fine.

Do not attempt to boot your HD without doing the repair first and do not
give any credence at all to any wives tales about deleting registry
entries. The Repair fixes it up for you.

I know MS recommends this, and I've read other posts from some where it
actually worked. My experience is that it worked one time of the four times
I did a proper repair install. These were all m/b and processor upgrades.
The one time it worked was when I from a Nforce to Nforce2 board. The
failures were all going from KT boards to Nforce2 and VIA to Nforce2.

Luc The Perverse

Tim said:
Dave always says this and obviously has yet to try an XP Repair install.
You do not have to reformat etc. If your system is clean and tidy (IE no
viruses etc) then a repair is just fine.

Do not attempt to boot your HD without doing the repair first and do not
give any credence at all to any wives tales about deleting registry entries.
The Repair fixes it up for you.

When you are ready to do it, do some research and find accurate
documentation on how to do a repair. Repair is the method MS supports for
this.

Who . . . in the world, would not want to reinstall when they got
new hardware?

I reinstall when I change my password. XP accumulates sh*t, maybe
it's better than previous versions of windows, but the nature of
any normal OS is to get dirty as time goes on.

People are just afraid to reinstall. Too lazy to format their
files in such a way that they can be backed up and restored.

REINSTALL! SAVE YOURSELVES!

Mercury

Luc, I do get your point.

However there are many of us that never get viruses, spyware, or a mess. We
run off the same OS for years without trouble, have totally stable systems,
good backup regimes, and keep systems working 100% without issue.

It is quite easy if you know how.

Consequently if its upgrade time, we have the backups and ask ourselves:
repair or reinstall? If time is short then it is invariably repair.

Reinstall is always good, but sometimes it costs more than its possibly
worth as there is little advantage to it.

Now, if ones system is in a perpetual state of virus infection then an fdisk
is prudent.

Ed Light

Luc The Perverse said:
REINSTALL! SAVE YOURSELVES!

It certainly sped up my boot time on the new motherboard.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(e-mail address removed)
Thanks, robots.

Luc The Perverse

Mercury said:
Luc, I do get your point.

However there are many of us that never get viruses, spyware, or a mess. We
run off the same OS for years without trouble, have totally stable systems,
good backup regimes, and keep systems working 100% without issue.

Well I can run for years and never get a virus or spyware. (I
think I have messed up once on each, and fixed with a reinstall.)

My brother on the other hand, he comes over and finds a way to
install 14 spyware apps in about 10 hours. I think he must have
searched for them or something.

DD Gamer

Two things:

1.) If you are going to keep the "other" drive, why wouldn't you keep your
OSes and software on it, and use the RAID array for data? The install is
simpler, and you can always ghost the system drive to the array as backup.

2.) If you are going to be putting a completely new motherboard in, you are
likely best off doing a clean install, as you will end up with a fresh copy
of Windows with no driver files lurking about for miscellaneous devices from
the old beard, among other things.

As for viruses and other malware, if you already have a problem with that,
you are going to continue to have a problem with it regardless of whether
you start from scratch or do a 'repair', because if you haven't already
dealt with the problem, you are going to get it again.

J. Clarke

Augustus said:
I know MS recommends this, and I've read other posts from some where it
actually worked. My experience is that it worked one time of the four
times I did a proper repair install. These were all m/b and processor
upgrades. The one time it worked was when I from a Nforce to Nforce2
board. The failures were all going from KT boards to Nforce2 and VIA to
Nforce2.

Generally those failures would be due to incompatible drivers for the IDE
host adapter--one needs to back off to the default drivers first (easily
done from Control Panel, no registry entries need to be changed) before
doing the swap. If you're booting from a third-party host adapter then
there should be no problem regardless.

Colonel Blip

Hello, DD!
You wrote on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:05:00 -0500:

DG> Two things:

DG> 1.) If you are going to keep the "other" drive, why wouldn't you keep
DG> your OSes and software on it, and use the RAID array for data? The
DG> install is simpler, and you can always ghost the system drive to the
DG> array as backup.

This is a RAID0 and I'm not going to put my data at greater risk.

DG> 2.) If you are going to be putting a completely new motherboard in, you
DG> are likely best off doing a clean install, as you will end up with a
DG> fresh copy of Windows with no driver files lurking about for
DG> miscellaneous devices from the old beard, among other things.

DG> As for viruses and other malware, if you already have a problem with
DG> that, you are going to continue to have a problem with it regardless of
DG> whether you start from scratch or do a 'repair', because if you haven't
DG> already dealt with the problem, you are going to get it again.

No viruses/malware here. Have all of the appropriate security bells and
whistles and routinely run checkers.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Mercury

I'd be concerned about this if it ever happened to me.
Did you try to boot of the drive before repairing?
Did you do any sticking plaster fixes?
What actually went wrong.

The fact that you indicate "The one time it worked was when I from a Nforce
to Nforce2 board" tends to indicate to me that you were actually fluffing
the repair completely.

Next time, go to some good resource eg
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/

and have a good read first asking yourself "What did I do that was
different?.

BOL next time.

Folkert Rienstra

Colonel Blip said:
Hello, DD!
You wrote on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:05:00 -0500:

DG> Two things:

DG> 1.) If you are going to keep the "other" drive, why wouldn't you keep
DG> your OSes and software on it, and use the RAID array for data? The
DG> install is simpler, and you can always ghost the system drive to the
DG> array as backup.

This is a RAID0 and I'm not going to put my data at greater risk.

So you are putting your data on RAID1 then, yes?

Colonel Blip

Hello, Folkert!
You wrote on Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:04:55 +0100:

Nope - it is on an IDE disk with another, external IDE for backup (as well
as periodical DVD and/or tape).

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

FR> ??>> Hello, DD!
FR> So you are putting your data on RAID1 then, yes?

Folkert Rienstra

Colonel Blip said:
Hello, Folkert!
You wrote

The hell I did.
on Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:04:55 +0100:

Nope - it is on an IDE disk with another, external IDE for backup (as well
as periodical DVD and/or tape).

Then it is not anything safer than on Raid0 with backup.