Changing motherboards, now Win2000 CD won't boot for installation

J

jbclem

I've switched from a real old, Asus P2B, motherboard to a slightly newer one, Asus P4PE. My Win2000 CD, which has
worked many times in the past, now when I try to boot up to install Win2000, will go through the first screen that lists
all the components and then stop with these words: Boot from Atapi CD-ROM: no emulation.

I can boot up in DOS using the Hirens CD. And I've tried to install Win2000 via DOS, and I can get partway through the
installation, but when the installation starts copying all the files onto the hard drive...some of them won't copy and
so I can't get a good installation. I've checked this Win2000 CD on my other computer and it will go through the
installation without this bad files problem.

I need some help with this "no emulation" message, how to get this installation to proceed. Any suggestions?

John

P

philo

jbclem said:
I've switched from a real old, Asus P2B, motherboard to a slightly newer
one, Asus P4PE. My Win2000 CD, which has
worked many times in the past, now when I try to boot up to install
Win2000, will go through the first screen that lists
all the components and then stop with these words: Boot from Atapi CD-ROM: no emulation.

I can boot up in DOS using the Hirens CD. And I've tried to install
Win2000 via DOS, and I can get partway through the
installation, but when the installation starts copying all the files onto
the hard drive...some of them won't copy and
so I can't get a good installation. I've checked this Win2000 CD on my
other computer and it will go through the

I need some help with this "no emulation" message, how to get this
installation to proceed. Any suggestions?

Normally one would just set the bios to boot from cd
or else create a set up floppies to begin the cd installation.

Though win2k can be installed from dos,
you need to fist load smartdrv . also the partition must be fat32;
you can convert to NTFS once win2k is installed

A

Andy

I've switched from a real old, Asus P2B, motherboard to a slightly newer one, Asus P4PE. My Win2000 CD, which has
worked many times in the past, now when I try to boot up to install Win2000, will go through the first screen that lists

I can boot up in DOS using the Hirens CD. And I've tried to install Win2000 via DOS, and I can get partway through the
installation, but when the installation starts copying all the files onto the hard drive...some of them won't copy and
so I can't get a good installation. I've checked this Win2000 CD on my other computer and it will go through the

I need some help with this "no emulation" message, how to get this installation to proceed. Any suggestions?

John
Try testing the motherboard system memory. If it passes, then the new
motherboard has problems reading from the old CD drive.

J

jbclem

I did test the memory from the Hirens CD. It passed ok. And since the motherboard had no problems with the CD-ROM when
it booted from the Hirens CD into DOS, I'd assume at least something was working correctly between the two. But the
Win2000 CD won't even start to boot up, so there must be a difference between these two CD's, something that isn't being
recognized by the motherboard. That's what I'm trying to find out...what is this "no emulation" message and how can I
find out why one CD is being recognized but not the other.

John

Ask a Question