Changing default location of %USERPROFILE% ?

Brian Wescombe

Is it possible to edit the registry so that the default user profile
directory (%USERPROFILE%) points to somewhere other than C:\Documents and
Settings ?

Any help much appreciated!

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Type at the command prompt to see where the current user profile location
is before and after changing:
echo %userprofile%

Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList to see where each active account's profile
is located. The Value "ProfilesDirectory" will give you a hint

Follow the steps for changing the location for the Current User

The path to the My Documents folder is stored in the following registry
key, where path is the complete path to your storage location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
Value Name: Personal
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: path

Note: Any modification from the default is recorded in the following
location and the path listed earlier is also updated:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
Value Name: Personal
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: path

Note: If the administrator redirects My Documents by using group policy
folder redirection, the path is present in this value and the option to
modify the location of the My Documents folder is not available when you
view properties of the My Documents folder.

Follow the steps for changing the location for "All users"

The path to the My Documents folder is stored in the following registry
key, where path is the complete path to your storage location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
Value Name: Personal
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: path

Note: Any modification from the default is recorded in the following
location and the path listed earlier is also updated:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
Value Name: Personal
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: path

Note: If the administrator redirects My Documents by using group policy
folder redirection, the path is present in this value and the option to
modify the location of the My Documents folder is not available when you
view properties of the My Documents folder.

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--From: "Brian Wescombe" <[email protected]>
--Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
--Subject: Changing default location of %USERPROFILE% ?
--Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:54:56 +0100