change windows 2000 language to English

jjbren

Hi,

My girlfriend just gave me this laptop to "fix" because im a "CS
major."

Anyway, the language is set to Korean, so I can't read anything! Yet i
somehow have to set the language to English.

Any help is appreciated. I am considering either option but I need
some help.

1) keep win2k and reset lang to english
2) wipe the hard drive and install win xp from a CD ISO file (not sure
how to go about this one)

Thanks again, I've been pulling my hair out over this for the past 4
hours!

John

Dan Seur

AFAIK there's no setting to change from one language to another in W2k.
Depending on how you feel about the girl, you might want to buy an
English language version of W2k (maybe really cheap on Ebay or at the
little neighborhood computer repair store). Isolate whatever she wants
from the old OS, then fresh install the new version.

By the way, I seem to recall this post of yours verbatim from a few days
ago. True?

- Day Javoo

Hi,

My girlfriend just gave me this laptop to "fix" because im a "CS
major."

Anyway, the language is set to Korean, so I can't read anything! Yet i
somehow have to set the language to English.

Any help is appreciated. I am considering either option but I need
some help.

1) keep win2k and reset lang to english
2) wipe the hard drive and install win xp from a CD ISO file (not sure
how to go about this one)

Thanks again, I've been pulling my hair out over this for the past 4
hours!

John

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-2, 03/17/2006
Tested on: 3/17/2006 11:11:15 AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-2, 03/17/2006
Tested on: 3/17/2006 11:18:25 AM

jjbren

Hi Day,

Thanks! And yes, I posted a few days ago in the 'new user" but 4x the
people are on this list, so I thought it would get more exposure. I
appreciate your response.

How would I go about a fresh install? run "format c" from the cmd
prompt? i got an iso of win xp on cd that i would like to install.
any ideas on how to do that?

thanks!

Dan Seur

I'm not an XP user (and don't know what an "iso of win xp" is, but I'd
guess the fresh install procedure is the same for XP as for the rest of
the NT family. Any install gives you the option, early on, of creating
or selecting the OS partition and formatting it, if necessary, as you like.

If there's anything on that machine you want to save, back it up or make
sure it's not on any partition you'll format.

If you can boot from your CD (having set the BIOS to boot from CD) then
do so. You will be led through the install process step by step. That
boot will initiate one of the programs mentioned below, I suppose
winnt32.exe.

If you cannot boot from that CD (the BIOS can't be set to boot from CD,
or the CD itself is not bootable) then boot from diskette. A DOS or W9x
bootable diskette will suffice. Once booted, navigate on the CD to its
\i386 directory. Then start EITHER winnt.exe (if you're in 16-bit DOS)
or winnt32.exe (if W9x or other 32-bit OS is running.)

These 2 processes are identical in effect; the installed XP will be the
same, as will be the steps that lead you through the woods.

Hi Day,

Thanks! And yes, I posted a few days ago in the 'new user" but 4x the
people are on this list, so I thought it would get more exposure. I
appreciate your response.

How would I go about a fresh install? run "format c" from the cmd
prompt? i got an iso of win xp on cd that i would like to install.
any ideas on how to do that?

thanks!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-2, 03/17/2006
Tested on: 3/17/2006 1:59:01 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-2, 03/17/2006
Tested on: 3/17/2006 2:19:50 PM

paulmd

Hi,

My girlfriend just gave me this laptop to "fix" because im a "CS
major."

Anyway, the language is set to Korean, so I can't read anything! Yet i
somehow have to set the language to English.

Any help is appreciated. I am considering either option but I need
some help.

1) keep win2k and reset lang to english
2) wipe the hard drive and install win xp from a CD ISO file (not sure
how to go about this one)

Most cd burning programs will create a cd from this type of file if you
tell them to. But if all you have is the cd image file, you do not have
a certificate of authenticity. Which is a problem.

paulmd

Hi,

My girlfriend just gave me this laptop to "fix" because im a "CS
major."

Anyway, the language is set to Korean, so I can't read anything! Yet i
somehow have to set the language to English.

Any help is appreciated. I am considering either option but I need
some help.

1) keep win2k and reset lang to english
2) wipe the hard drive and install win xp from a CD ISO file (not sure
how to go about this one)

Most cd burning programs will create a cd from this type of file if you
tell them to. But if all you have is the cd image file, you do not have
a certificate of authenticity. Which is a problem.

Michel Merlin

1) Try change the language
2) Try change the OS
3) Try change the Computer