PowerPoint Change/update links to new source (PPT with charts & objects linked to Excel)

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am stuck with a project I am working on and would be more than grateful to get some help from someone experienced...

I have a PowerPoint file/report with graphs & macro-enabled worksheet objects, both linked to a specific Excel file as a source.

I want to share these 2 files (Excel + PowerPoint) to other users (different computers) so they can generate PPT reports themselves when updating the Excel, when all the graphs & objects need to be re-linked to the matching Excel file that was sent to them.

As I want to create that connection before I send the files (since the link is based on the location's name/folder), I created a folder with the same name/location as it will be in my colleague's computer, so when I send him the files, he doesn't have to do anything.

I have a VBA code that I found, I tried it and ran it on my computer, but we I sent it to my colleague, only the charts were connected and not the macro-enabled worksheet objects.

Is there something we can do?Maybe it's not the best approach...

Code:
Sub changeLinkTargets()

Dim pptSlide As Slide
Dim pptShape As Shape

Dim oldString As String
oldString = "C:\Users\Avi\Report1.xlsm"
Dim newString As String
newString = "C:\John\Tool\Report1.xlsm"

For Each pptSlide In ActivePresentation.Slides
    For Each pptShape In pptSlide.Shapes
        If pptShape.Type = msoLinkedOLEObject Or pptShape.Type = msoLinkedPicture Or pptShape.Type = msoChart Then
            With pptShape.LinkFormat
                If InStr(1, UCase(.SourceFullName), UCase(oldString)) Then
                    .SourceFullName = Replace(.SourceFullName, oldString, newString)
                End If
            End With
        End If
    DoEvents
    Next pptShape
DoEvents
Next pptSlide

End Sub

Reaction score
When I run this I get an error that activex component can't create object at

For Each pptSlide In ActivePresentation.Slides

Ask a Question