Change to basic disk or activate the "dynamic disk"?

lisen

HI, I installed the external USB hard disk, which was pluged into the USB
box. but everytime I turned on the electricity and made the hard disk run, I
had to "manage the disks" and there are two options "change to basic disk
and activate the dynamic disk" What could I do to avoid that operation and
use that disk freely? Or could I "activate the dynamic disk" permanently no
matter if I turned on/off the USB box?

Ps. I have abundance of datas and files on that disk already.

John John (MVP)

Where did the disk come from? Were you able to "see" and access the
data on it in its old location? If you use the Disk Management tool is
the disk shown as a dynamic disk?

John

lisen

The disk is a IDDE internal hard disk, and I made it pluge into a USB
equipment.

Yes I used the Disk Management tool and saw it as " dynamic disk".

Every time I wanted to use that disk. I turned on the electricity on the USB
equipment and made the hard disk run, then I
had to use the Disk Management tool and chose to "activate the disk" of two
options at the right---"change to basic disk
or activate the dynamic disk"

John John (MVP)

So it was a dynamic disk before you moved it to the USB enclosure? And
when it was on the internal IDE controller, or if you move it back to
the IDE controller you could access the disk and data on it? Did you
try rescanning the disk or rebooting the computer?

John

Malke

John said:
So it was a dynamic disk before you moved it to the USB enclosure? And
when it was on the internal IDE controller, or if you move it back to
the IDE controller you could access the disk and data on it? Did you
try rescanning the disk or rebooting the computer?

John John - This person has got numerous threads going about problems s/he
has been having with this disk. S/he has a long thread going here:

Subject: What are the pros and cons for placing image on removable hard
disk?

and I just foolishly answered this one, apparently about the same drive:

Subject: How to partition the external hard disk?

Now we've got this one with you. In none of these three threads are we
getting the whole picture.

I'm moving on and not bothering with any of the threads. YMMV of course, but
I thought you'd like to know.

Malke

lisen

Thanks Malke, I have the same disk of course. But I have different
questionis/problems about it.
1st, it is about recovery image using ACRONIS TI.
2nd, it is aout partition the disk.
3rd, it is about the activation of the disk, because I could not use it
unless I activated it!

lisen

Yes, if I move it back to the IDE controller I could access the disk and
data on it. but it is not a dynamic one before I moved it to USB enclosure.

Well, I used that disk as a "protable disk" with external USB plug.

John John (MVP)

I suggest that you move/backup all your data from the disk to another
disk while you can and that you rebuild the disk from scratch. From
Malke's post and your last reply to her it appears that you have
attempted to use a partitioning utility on the disk and that you may
have damaged something. Use the Windows XP Disk Management utility to
rebuild the disk, rebuild it as a "Basic" disk.

John

Bill in Co.

Seems like the most common sense approach, and that should resolve it. And
the multiple threads. Not sure why he didn't do that in the first place,
however.

lisen

Hi, Bill.
Because I placed my files on that disk before I got it out of the internal
IDE controller and plugged it into the USB enclosure. That is to say, When
that disk was on the internal IDE controller, I used it as normal NTFS disk
and placed many files on it.