Windows Vista Change Keyspan Driver Comm Port

Reaction score
I am running VISTA Home and recently installed a Serial to USB converter (Keyspan). Unfortunately, the comm port is set to 28, which is too high. The only available ports, via keyspan advanced properties in device manager, are 28-31. I need to assign the device to a comm port below 9. Any advice?

Reaction score
iintuit said:
I am running VISTA Home and recently installed a Serial to USB converter (Keyspan). Unfortunately, the comm port is set to 28, which is too high. The only available ports, via keyspan advanced properties in device manager, are 28-31. I need to assign the device to a comm port below 9. Any advice?

Hey welcome to the forum....
happywave.gif

Bit more info might be helpful...ie make , model/serialnumber of the keyspan etc...Any paticular reason why you need it to have a comm port below 9 ?Why not just let the converter assing a port as be ? Is there a problem when the cnverter self assigns ? Is there an error message when it self assigns.? Please let us know. THese miht sound trivial, but might also help in sotrtng your problem

Reaction score
The keyspan model is USA-19HS. I don't think the software application I am running is able to communicate to ports above 9. No error message occurs.

Reaction score
iintuit said:
The keyspan model is USA-19HS. I don't think the software application I am running is able to communicate to ports above 9. No error message occurs.

Sorry, yet more questions.What exactly are you suing the converter for ?

Reaction score
iintuit said:
As a serial to USB converter for a RS232 biofeedback device.

And again more infoeneeded on this Biofeedback device..Make Model, serialnumber etc... I know ya think I am probaly starting tosound like a complete d*ck head, but the more infor you give the better, rather than cryptic clues...

Reaction score
The biosensor is a proprietary sensor and details are limited. It's basically a homemade galvanic skin response sensor. It communicates through a serial port. The keyspan converts the serial to a USB interface. Our proprietary software is built on VB6 and I don't think the control being used for comm port selection goes beyond 9, hence our problem. We have this system installed on 100's of VISTA machines but I am assuming the comm port selected for the keyspan device on those machines is below 10.

Reaction score
You can change comm port numbers in your device manager.I'm not at a vista pc at the mo. i will check when i get home but i think you go into device manger> advanced properties and you should find it in there.Like i said i'm not at my vista pc. I'm in work, with broken foot n all.

Also did you not get a driver cd with the usb adapter.

Ask a Question