CD-burning support

Rainald Taesler

On my desktop PC (HP d530 USDT) the support for XP-native CD is
broken.
It used to work.

1.) The application starts as it should when material is put into the
folder for burning.
Media in the drive are not recognized, however.
This corresponds with showing the drive in "My Computer":
Whereas normally the icon shows the type of media, it just shows an
empty drive.

2.) This happens with all of my drives (multibay devices):
- CD-RW
- DVD-CDRW combo (3)
- DVD burner (2)

The drives are OK, they work fine in my TabletPC.

3a) OS is XP SP2 with all updates.

b) I have Roxio Easy CD and DVD Recorder v. 6 installed.
All of its features work fine with all kinds of media.

c) I had Nero 6 Ultra installed but installed it 2 days ago in order
update to v. 7.
At present only the "Tools" (CD-DVD-Speed) are installed.
They work as they should incl. burning Test-CDs and DVDs.

4.) I assume that some wrong/missing Registry entries might be the
culprits, but I have no idea on where to look.

Rainald

Rock

[...]

3rd party CD burning software oft times disables XP's in built software.
See a thread earlier today on this this thing. It's always good to scan the
newsgroup posts for similars before posting a new message.

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
3rd party CD burning software oft times disables XP's in built
software. See a thread earlier today on this thing.

Been there, done so.
No solution there, however.
As said there, Roxio and Nero and the XP wizard have been co-existing
fine for a loooong time. And they still do that on 2 of my 3 machines.
It's just my desktop which is haunted :-( :-(

Rainald
P.S. For all:
The other thread is:
"XP won't read my DVD ROM" opened by Brian Huether
<[email protected]> on 26. November 2006 04:25,
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...eral&mid=cde74b8d-fddb-4858-ad43-c960738a20d5
http://groups.google.de/group/micro...k=gst&q=Rainald&rnum=1&hl=de#b6869f328f7eb369

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
It's
always good to scan the newsgroup posts for similars before posting
a new message.

For sure.
With a loooong history with support in NGs and support fora I do only
know too well how frustarting it is to repeat the same things over and
over again because people ask without cheking previous thredas.

It's a bit ambiguous, however.
It can be reaklly dysfunctional if someone just jumps on an existing
therad with a "Mee to" - especially if the problem situation is not
identical.

I wanted to give an in detail description of the situation and the
environment and I'm note sure if adding my question asked here in
Brian Huether might not have been "adding to confusion".
And: There's no solution there until now.

Pls accept my apologies should opening a new thread have been wrong
doing.

Rainald

Rock

Rock shared these words of wisdom:

For sure.
With a loooong history with support in NGs and support fora I do only know
too well how frustarting it is to repeat the same things over and over
again because people ask without cheking previous thredas.

It's a bit ambiguous, however.
It can be reaklly dysfunctional if someone just jumps on an existing
therad with a "Mee to" - especially if the problem situation is not
identical.

I wanted to give an in detail description of the situation and the
environment and I'm note sure if adding my question asked here in Brian
Huether might not have been "adding to confusion".
And: There's no solution there until now.

Pls accept my apologies should opening a new thread have been wrong doing.

Nothing to apologize about Rainald. Actually you're right it's not a good
idea to post onto another thread. What I meant was that the posts should be
scanned for possible solutions. If none found then post a new thread.

I understand about haunted desktops. One minute things are fine, then not,
then on some situations with XP they mysteriously heal themselves after a
few reboots.

Maybe you need to remove the 3rd party software, get the XP in built
working, then reinstall. Has there been any driver updates lately through
windows update or the manufacturer's updated drivers? Any updates to either
of those 3rd party software through their own update mechanisms?

Unfortunately I have seen situations where everything was coexisting one day
and then worked differently the next. I don't remember but did you try a
system restore to when things were working as you liked?

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
Nothing to apologize about Rainald. Actually you're right it's not
a good idea to post onto another thread. What I meant was that the
posts should be scanned for possible solutions. If none found then
post a new thread.

OK, fine - although it always is a problem if the same problem is
discussed at the same time in several threads.
That's why in the meantime I did put references to the other thread
crosswise.
Unfortunately no solution in the other thread too [siiiigh]
I understand about haunted desktops. One minute things are fine,
then not, then on some situations with XP they mysteriously heal
themselves after a few reboots.

Sometimes ...
Maybe you need to remove the 3rd party software, get the XP in built
working, then reinstall.

Been there, done that.
Nero as well as Roxio removed.

Thereafter all out of a sudden when inserting a blank CD-R the "My
Computer" window showed the drive's icon with the "CDR"-label again
(which it had not done since the troubles started). Swapping the disk
with a CD-RW did not change the label to "CD-RW" (as it should) and on
trying to burn the same old "no disk inserted.. insert recordable CD
into drive F:\ .." appeared again.

I then tried it with 5 different drives and different media, to no
success. Only a blank drive shown on in "My Computer" (showing the
icon with the label was singular event) and no disc detected as
recordable.
Has there been any driver updates lately
through windows update

Yes, all Windows updates installed. I always install everything from
"Windows Update".
or the manufacturer's updated drivers?

Nothing which might be connected with the drives (there are no drivers
for CD/DVD drives said:
Any
updates to either of those 3rd party software through their own
update mechanisms?

No.
But as said in my initial posting (pls be so kind as to climb up the
thread) I had uninstalled all of Nero 6 and installed a very small
part of Nero 7 (tools only).
But this has been un-installed in the meantime.
And I can not say if the problem began after removing Nero 6 or
existed before that already and I just did not notice earlier (I'm
suing the XP native burning rather seldom as the Roxio Drag-to-Disk
application works really great.
Unfortunately I have seen situations where everything was
coexisting one day and then worked differently the next.
I don't remember but did you try a system restore to when things
were working as you liked?

For sure! But it did not work. Something seems to be wrong with the
System Recovery too and for quite some time I have not been
successfully with the rollback. Result is: "No recovery possible".

As I reported in the other thread I have quite some history with
problems of CD-drives having been disabled and made unusable after the
uninstall of older "Adaptec Easy CD Creator" versions.,
So I assume that there is something deep down in the Registry which
causes that the detection of the type of disc is disabled.

But I have no idea on where ....

Thanks again for trying to help

Rainald

There seems to be quite a few threads about this issue, unfortunately I
haven't seen one that produces a good answer. Sometimes very basicc things
like starting IMAPI or enabling CD burning in the recording tab works, but
not for cases like the one here... or mine.

I have tried changing the registry values of 1 and 2 - those seemed to apply
to CD ROM or CDRW, but not sure what the values would be for DVDRW and didn't
seem to produce a good result, so have since put them back.

The basic problem is that the drives just will not write to any media, the
drives might say 'inaccesible', or full, or being reserved by another program
(in Roxio), or the wizard will even tell you to insert a disc! Surely
instead of bickering about who likes to see what in their newsgroup feeds
some knowledgeable person would actually find out what on earth is going on
here?

for CD/DVD drives said:
[...]

Rainald Taesler shared these words of wisdom:

As a follow-up:
The problem seems to be solved.

Out of pure luck I stumbled over the thread
"Autoplay does not work" by Bob Fay, message-ID
<[email protected]>
where Rock on Dec 12 04:54 had written:

" [Courtesy the late MVP Alex Nichol]
Some MSoft people have written an unofficial program to fix problems
with Autoplay. As such it is not on a Microsoft site, but it can be
found
at http://www.bigblackglasses.com/staff/downloads/autofix.exe "

As for quite some time I had suspected a problem with Autoplay (as
explained, the icon for the drive in "My Computer" did not change and
not reflect the type of medium) I downloaded the utility and let it
run. It made a few corrections. And presto: Things seem back to
normal with all six drives.

Only oddity remaining - and in so far different from the situation on
my notebook and my TabletPC -:
When Autoplay fires on inserting a blank (re-)writable disc the dialog
for selecting the wanted action is empty. It does neither show the
option to "open the folder for recordable CD" nor to use Roxio.

This is corresponding to the fact that in the drive's
properties-dialog under "Autoplay" I can not make any selection.

Does anyone have any idea on where to look in the registry for setting
the
Autoplay options?
I could then have a look in the proper section on my other computers
and perhaps take over the settings from there (the drives in questions
are used on all three machines).

Rainald

Rock

[...]

Do you have TweakUI from Microsoft? If not get it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx

If I recollect correctly it has an autoplay section where you can modify
what shows up there. Take a look and see if removing, updating any items
will help.

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
Do you have TweakUI from Microsoft? If not get it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx

Naturally I have it ;-)
Since the very first version (long before XP) TweakUI has been on each
and any computer within my reach ;-) and whenver setting up a system
the first thing after the basic OS install is to install TweakUI.
If I recollect correctly it has an autoplay section where you can
modify what shows up there.

Thanks a whole lot for this hint!
Don't know why this did not come into my mind :-( :-(
Take a look and see if removing, updating any items will help.

Been ther, done that.
It took a while and it needed quite some iterations with disabling,
re-enabling and so forth.
But finally it worked!!
Everything is fine now.
On inserting a blank disc the dialog comes up with all options I have
enabled (incl. Roxio <gbg>).

I owe you quite something. You re-enabled my system - the main step
without even knowing <gbg> and the final polishing with poiting to
TweakUI.

Kindest regards from Germny and and a ton of good wishes for the
upcoming New Year

Yours thankfully
Rainald
http://www.hs-heilbronn.de/Members/taesler

Rock

[...]

You're more than welcome Rainald; usually I'm a hindrance with/without
knowing it, so it's nice to be of help without knowing, lol...same to you
for the new year.