cd burning freeware wanted

L.D.

I have old Adaptec ver 4.xxx and it is acting flaky. It has direct cd
which I like. Any freeware that work like Direct CD and make it where I
can use a cd similar to a floppy?
L.D.

Whip.Pan

Me too! I use an old DirectCD on my olde Win9x & like it [pretty much].
I don't know about freeware, but DirectCD [I think] & similar programs
use UDF -- Universal Disk Format. You might try googling for UDF and
freeware. INERO has a similar program called InCD. Think it might be
freeware?

Also, remember to beware of ANY such program, be sure if Fully supports
UDF, etc. Any problems, you need to recover data from a DirectCD/UDF,
I'd recommend ISOBUSTER. A *great* SW CD/etc recovery tool that does a
wonderful job of data recovery.

Too, remember never to toss your old UDF/DirectCD proggie, as some day
you may need it to read those CD's. Just a precaution.

Wait -- I just remembered the name of one ShareWare UDF prog -- Jet
Storage UDF. It's supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it.

Good luck! And, post any results you find here.

Whip.Pan

Sorry, I mis-spoke. It appears ISOBUSTER is freeware. It's a really
cool prog, so if you like it, donate!

Also I just found out that Roxio has a freeware program "UDF VOLUME
READER 7.1.0.95" -- not that it'll help you any, but it reads UDF CD's
created with DirectCD or [supposedly] any other UDF writing program.

I know you're looking for a freeware UDF writer, but this is what I've
found this far.

Helen

AAH said:
Have a look here for nero's INCD
You may have to run the full program
for incd to work properly.
http://hippo.ncnu.edu.tw/Windows/Collection/CDR-Soft/Nero/

I have old Adaptec ver 4.xxx and it is acting flaky. It has direct cd
which I like. Any freeware that work like Direct CD and make it where I
can use a cd similar to a floppy?
L.D.

Roxio(formerly)'s Direct CD v5 was easy to use, dependable and came with the
CD hardware,
but the latest CD-RW had Nero...which I utterly dislike! With Direct CD v
5 one could play the CD on other computers, no so with Nero! Furthermore,
on the
98 machine on which Roxio Direct CD is it does just fine with v5 (pre
sell-out
to other corp), but I've found the updated version reader less favorable.
For some
reason I did not find it as user friendly, dependable nor as good as the
former v5.
But when on t he Net, Roxio (this is some time ago) would try to make you
update
to version 7 which in my experience was a complete no-go! Direct CD was
the
easiest, straight-forward method of formatting CD-RW's, reading UDF (the
once gen
standard) CDs, drag and drop (my favorite way of making data CD's), but
after the corp
was bought out, then all the hassels began. I have not found Nero (neither
the
version that came with an LG CD-RW nor the version that came with a Lite-On
DVD writer to
be worth diddly-squat! Bottom line: Nero is a no-go. Also, InCD is NOT
like
Direct CD. The latter is a good program, the former a mere wannabe. If
Nero has any program for sale that is different than what they include with
the
hardware, then they can forever keep their junk. I've had enough of Nero to
last me a
lifetime.
After using Roxio's Direct CD, Nero will NEVER measure up. Even their
splash is trash. If you liked Direct CD, you will have to LOWER your
standards to like
anything Nero or the other $ greedballs come up with.

JP Loken

I have old Adaptec ver 4.xxx and it is acting flaky. It has direct cd
which I like. Any freeware that work like Direct CD and make it where I
can use a cd similar to a floppy?
L.D.

The only UDF-writer I know is Easy Burning.
Haven't tried it myself yet, but there was a posting here about it, I
think, not long ago.
http://www.paehl-info.de/cdr/

AAH

There is an option on the main screen
for UDF writing.
Tick the box and try.

JP Loken said:
The only UDF-writer I know is Easy Burning.
Haven't tried it myself yet, but there was a posting here about it, I
think, not long ago.
http://www.paehl-info.de/cdr/

Where does it say it does UDF writing. Looks like just standard
formats to me. Maybe I'm going blind. :blush:)

Larry

News==----
Newsgroups

Larry Sabo

AAH said:
There is an option on the main screen
for UDF writing.
Tick the box and try.

Oh, yeah! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll d/l and save the program
for clients who ask for UDF capability. I wasn't aware there was
anything free, other than the SONY abCD product, which I didn't feel
good about using on non-Sony drives. Now, to see whether it is
compatible with INCD or DirectCD.

Cheers,
Larry

Susan Bugher

old said:
Hi H. you could try `Burn4free`. google for it and have a read. best
wishes..J

Just FYI - recent versions are Spyware. SOS has the last freeware version:

Program: Burn4Free
Author: (Simone Tasselli)
W: LFW
Ware: Freeware v. 1.0 is Spywarefree (later versions contain NavHelper)
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/index.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Markku V.

JP said:
The only UDF-writer I know is Easy Burning.
Haven't tried it myself yet, but there was a posting here about it, I
think, not long ago. http://www.paehl-info.de/cdr/

There must be some kind of misunderstanding here. To have a possibility
to use UDF as a file system when writing CD does not mean that you can
do 'packet writing' (to use a CD as 'big floppy'). Packet writing can
be done also using ISO 9660 file system (e.g. FileCD).

Markku Virtanen