catalog for downloads

EA

I'm looking for a program that will list files in my download folder
and allow me to add comments for each file. Although some disk catalog
programs do this, I'm looking for one that will not delete old listings
(i.e., will keep filenames and comments even if the file no longer
exists on the disk). Any suggestions?

Hengist_Ludd

Why not just use 4DOS DESCRIPT.ION? 4DOS for Win9x/DOS is now free (still
payware for NT etc). Or, compatible programs include file managers Total
Commander (shareware, put cursor on file and press Ctrl-Z - I think you
have to set up config for this first), or File Wizard (DOS freeware but
understands LFNs), or DOS freeware DEDIT (part of INKUTILS).

Richard Steinfeld

EA said:
I'm looking for a program that will list files in my download folder
and allow me to add comments for each file. Although some disk catalog
programs do this, I'm looking for one that will not delete old listings
(i.e., will keep filenames and comments even if the file no longer
exists on the disk). Any suggestions?

Yes.
I've used a couple of really low-tech methods over the years.

1. Create a readme file using an ordinary text processor, such as
Windows Notepad. I just keep appending comments. The readme file goes
into the directory with the downloads. This is file so long as the
directory isn't huge, and so long as I've not deleted many of the programs.

2. Nowadays, I've gotten more sophisticated. My current drill goes like
this:
- Create a directory for each program. My current path looks like this:
- C:\Downloads\Downloads after 3/30/04\Programname
- This last directory is now ready to accept all manner of junk related
to the program. If I have multiple downloads of the same program (for
example, the prior release version vs. the latest beta), each will get
its own subdirectory off "Programname."
- Typical contents of the "Programname" directory will be: the program
download itself, any related web pages (saved as .mht), and my note file
about whatever I want to say to myself. Since I'm now in FAT 32 with
hardly any length limit, I'm being more specific in how I name my note
file. To make it really distinct, I put my initials into the file name.
This is because otherwise, I may be duplicating an existing file that's
part of the download: "Readme" won't cut it any more. But my note file
will have a name like: "Programname RGS.txt."

If I've tried a program and didn't like it, or if it wasn't compatible
with my computer, I'll delete the program and probably its .mht web
page, but I'll retain my note file and its subdirectory so that I won't
bother with the program again and can see why I abandoned it.

As we know, Windows Notepad can be a real pain in the butt, especially
when it comes to printing. I'm now using Crimson Editor (recommended by
a couple of folks in this newsgroup). After testing a whole gaggle of
notepad programs, I've settled on this one as the best of the lot for
text work (not programming, for which one or two others may be better).
My only misgiving is that Crimson doesn't have a spell checker. Now,
there may be a better one just around the corner. I'm quite impressed
with the dedication and thoughtfulness of many of the notepad programs I
tried; it's just that most of them have been more oriented toward the
needs of programmers over text handling.

Does this approach work for you?

Richard

EA

[...]

Thank you for the suggestions but I was looking for a different kind
of solution. I have been using a script that I wrote for Autoit and
I log the name of the download and a comment (it appends it to a text
file). It works but I'm hoping to find a program that automates the
task a bit more. I used to have a DOS utility that did that a long
time ago but it does not work on XP.

Someone else suggested DOS editors that add 4DOS descriptions.
However, those are either not freeware, don't work with NTFS, or are
so awkward to use that I am better of with what I currently do.

Again, thank you for the suggestions...

E.

Mel

I'm looking for a program that will list files in my download folder
and allow me to add comments for each file. Although some disk catalog
programs do this, I'm looking for one that will not delete old listings
(i.e., will keep filenames and comments even if the file no longer
exists on the disk). Any suggestions?
FileNote is a little shell extension that allows you to add textual
descriptions to your files. It adds one command to the shell context
menu of a file object. This command lets you easily edit or create a
text file that has the same name as the initial file, but with the
extension TXT.

For example, if you have a file, MyImage.jpg, you right-click on that
file and choose the FileNote command from the context menu. A new text
file called MyImage.txt is created and Notepad is opened to edit that
text file. If a text file with that name already exists, it will be
opened for viewing/editing.

http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp

Larry Sabo

EA said:
I'm looking for a program that will list files in my download folder
and allow me to add comments for each file. Although some disk catalog
programs do this, I'm looking for one that will not delete old listings
(i.e., will keep filenames and comments even if the file no longer
exists on the disk). Any suggestions?

Try Filenote

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/filenote.html

<Quote>
FileNote is a little shell extension that allows you to add textual
descriptions to your files. It adds one command to the shell context
menu of a file object. This command lets you easily edit or create a
text file that has the same name as the initial file, but with the
extension TXT. For example, if you have a file, MyImage.jpg, you
right-click on that file and choose the FileNote command from the
context menu. A new text file called MyImage.txt is created and
Notepad is opened to edit that text file.
</Quote>

You could right-click on each file in the download, select Filenote,
then enter whatever text you like about it using your default text
editor. I use Crypt Edit, which saves in rtf, so I get all the html
links I copy from the download page.

Larry

EA

FileNote is a little shell extension that allows you to add
textual descriptions to your files. It adds one command to the
shell context menu of a file object. This command lets you easily
edit or create a text file that has the same name as the initial
file, but with the extension TXT.

For example, if you have a file, MyImage.jpg, you right-click on
that file and choose the FileNote command from the context menu. A
new text file called MyImage.txt is created and Notepad is opened
to edit that text file. If a text file with that name already
exists, it will be opened for viewing/editing.

http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp

Hmmmm.... I prefer to have the filenames and comments in one file but
I also see some advantages with the method you described. I will try
it and think about it....

E.

EA

[...]

I will give this a try....thank you...

E.

Hengist_Ludd

Is this any better?

"DescExt is an extension to the Windows 9x/ME or Windows NT 4/2000
explorer to show 4DOS descriptions. It hooks into the context menu and the
property sheet of any file or folder of any explorer window. You can edit
the description in the Description tab of the property sheet. "

http://www.rbahr.de/4dos.htm#english

Found via Klaus Meinhard's site on 4DOS / NDOS support, tools, tips &
tricks, links

http://www.4dos.info/index.htm

Dave

Yogev said:
http://www.aarsoftware.com/ffdc.html
File/Folder Description Center Lite

Yogev
P.S.
Zip Indexator v1.2
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/zipindexator12.html

Instal: No
It searches all zip files in any directory and looks for information
about each file in numerous files, such as file_id.diz, license.txt,
readme.txt, install.txt, etc. You can add any filename to search.

Comnt : Lot of HTML (work files) in folder

One simple idea would be to use the explorer replacement TrackerV3.
http://www.trackerv3.com/download.htm It has the capability to export a
list of all the file info into a .CSV file. plunk it into your
spreadsheet program and you add all the comments you want, ready for any
db conversions or sorting ,filtering searching ,whatever. The default
output gives everything about a file(size,dates,versionetc.)

Dave

EA

"Hengist_Ludd" <Hengist_Ludd@[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed in
m:
Is this any better?

"DescExt is an extension to the Windows 9x/ME or Windows NT 4/2000
explorer to show 4DOS descriptions. It hooks into the context menu
and the property sheet of any file or folder of any explorer
window. You can edit the description in the Description tab of the
property sheet. "

http://www.rbahr.de/4dos.htm#english

Found via Klaus Meinhard's site on 4DOS / NDOS support, tools,
tips & tricks, links

http://www.4dos.info/index.htm

Actually, this is more or less what I was looking for! Thank you!!

E.

EA

http://www.aarsoftware.com/ffdc.html
File/Folder Description Center Lite

Yogev
P.S.
Zip Indexator v1.2
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/zipindexator12.html

Instal: No
It searches all zip files in any directory and looks for
information about each file in numerous files, such as
file_id.diz, license.txt, readme.txt, install.txt, etc. You can
add any filename to search.

Comnt : Lot of HTML (work files) in folder

The only problem with that is that many downloads do not have a file
with description.....

E.

EA

One simple idea would be to use the explorer replacement
TrackerV3. http://www.trackerv3.com/download.htm It has the
capability to export a list of all the file info into a .CSV file.
plunk it into your spreadsheet program and you add all the
comments you want, ready for any db conversions or sorting
,filtering searching ,whatever. The default output gives
everything about a file(size,dates,versionetc.)

Dave

I really like this solution and I think I will use it. It does
require an extra step (importing to spreadsheet) but the extra info
on each file is worth it. Thank you!

E.

Dave

EA said:
Dave <[email protected]> typed in

I really like this solution and I think I will use it. It does
require an extra step (importing to spreadsheet) but the extra info
on each file is worth it. Thank you!

E.

Actually what I meant is that you can add comments in the spreadsheet
for those that don't have them already. I just started doing this with
all my downloads to keep track of the urls of where they came from so I
can direct others easily(as I did with Tracker for you)

Dave

sno

Dave said:
Actually what I meant is that you can add comments in the spreadsheet
for those that don't have them already. I just started doing this with
all my downloads to keep track of the urls of where they came from so I
can direct others easily(as I did with Tracker for you)

Dave

Dave and all...

Free download manager keeps a history of downloads with comments...
have been doing/usin this for awhile....works well....

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

have fun...sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Susan Bugher

EA said:
I really like this solution and I think I will use it. It does
require an extra step (importing to spreadsheet) but the extra info
on each file is worth it. Thank you!

re manipulating data. . .

Treepad will import .csv files - you could import the data produced by TrackerV3 - perhaps after
"massaging" it in a spreadsheet. If you want to keep program info in the directory with the download
you can can import Treepad files into Keynote and export the nodes/notes from there as individual
files.

The ACF files have the same information that is shown on the ACF pages. I suspect that means info
about many of the apps you have. One or more of these files might be useful to you.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2005-08-17.csv
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2005-08-17.hjt (Treepad)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2005-08-17.txt (tab delimited)

FWIW - I used to save program info with the downloads - I much prefer having it all in one Treepad
file. My personal Treepad "software" file is similar to the ACF Treepad file but has *lots* of
additional info - downloads, notes etc. etc.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

EA

[...]

Thank you for the acf files. They are very helpful. I like the
treepad idea and I will probably use it (atcually, I use Keynote).
Thank you again.

E.

Susan Bugher

EA said:
Susan Bugher <[email protected]> typed in
Thank you for the acf files. They are very helpful. I like the
treepad idea and I will probably use it (atcually, I use Keynote).
Thank you again.

I'm glad to hear that. The ACF pages/files are intended to be a labor saving device that lets us
*combine* our efforts re info about apps, updating an app's URL, ware status etc. etc. - no sense
doing any more work than we have to. . . ;)

Importing Treepad files into Keynote is the easiest thing in the world. :) I love Treepad and Keynote.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Dave

Susan said:
I'm glad to hear that. The ACF pages/files are intended to be a labor
saving device that lets us *combine* our efforts re info about apps,
updating an app's URL, ware status etc. etc. - no sense doing any more
work than we have to. . . ;)

Importing Treepad files into Keynote is the easiest thing in the world.
:) I love Treepad and Keynote.

Susan

I took a look at Keynote and TreePad and they make a great addition to
the spreadsheet capabilities of what I want to do with a lot of lists.
Only one problem Susan, now I've got new toys and may not see the light
of day for a while.. Thanks for the pointer!

Dave