cat 5 cable

Grunff

The said:
Is there a trick to making network cable? I've made several
and they're very touchy as far as losing their connection when the
cable is wiggled?

Are you using the correct cable for making patch leads? It needs to be
the multi-strand stuff, not the solid core. If you make up patch leads
with solid core they will be very flakey.

The Walkers

Is there a trick to making network cable? I've made several
and they're very touchy as far as losing their connection when the
cable is wiggled?

notritenotteri

yah the trick is to know what you're doing. Cat5 cable has a whole
set of specs about twist in the bundle and twist in the pairs . There
are also specs for crimp pressure. There are also specs on length
etc.
Buy them ready made its cheaper and a lot less frustrating in the long
run.

ChrisJ9876

From: Grunff (e-mail address removed)
Date: 01/22/2004 2:25 PM Eastern Standard Time

Are you using the correct cable for making patch leads? It needs to be
the multi-strand stuff, not the solid core. If you make up patch leads
with solid core they will be very flakey.

I seem to recall seeing connectors that specified one or the other - solid or
stranded and some that said either.

Grunff

ChrisJ9876 said:
I seem to recall seeing connectors that specified one or the other - solid or
stranded and some that said either.

All IDC RJ45s I've ever seen work by pushing a blade through the wire.
This can only work with stranded wire.

The vast majority of faceplate sockets work by pushing the wire between
two blades. This can only work effectively with solid core.

Could this be what you're thinking of?

There are other reasons why solid core shouldn't be user for patch
leads. It's just not flexible enough to take repeated bending, which can
result in failure.

ChrisJ9876

From: Grunff (e-mail address removed)
Date: 01/22/2004 7:21 PM Eastern Standard Time

All IDC RJ45s I've ever seen work by pushing a blade through the wire.
This can only work with stranded wire.

The vast majority of faceplate sockets work by pushing the wire between
two blades. This can only work effectively with solid core.

Could this be what you're thinking of?

Nope - here's what I found:

http://www.unicornelex.com/newunicorn/search.php?PHPSESSID=692bd7ec009977b
0de66d95e3466ecf5&cat=&searchstring=27-3142&Go=Go

Raymond Sirois

Is there a trick to making network cable? I've made several
and they're very touchy as far as losing their connection when the
cable is wiggled?

You're not crimping the connector properly. Ensure you're using the
correct tool, ensure that you are crimping the contacts fully, and
make sure you have a decent strain-relief.

Raymond Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000

notritenotteri

solid or stranded doesn't make much difference. the average patch
cord is plugged once and pulled once. If you're talking about PC to
Jack whips its something else. I would go with stranded but there's
millions of solid cable out there doing yeoman duty between the
"wall" and the PC. Proper crimping tools have a specific pressure
setting that crimps the individual wires properly if your doing it
with a pair of cable cutters or pliers its just looking for trouble
Unless you have free tech support buy the cables ready made form a
reputable and trusted supplier. Doing it yourself save SFA in the
long run.

Timothy Daniels

Grunff said:
Well bugger me! That's the first time I've ever heard of those.

Me, too! It really seems contradictory, doesn't it -
a plug for solid wire cable.

*TimDaniels*

Raymond Sirois

solid or stranded doesn't make much difference. the average patch
cord is plugged once and pulled once. If you're talking about PC to
Jack whips its something else. I would go with stranded but there's
millions of solid cable out there doing yeoman duty between the
"wall" and the PC. Proper crimping tools have a specific pressure
setting that crimps the individual wires properly if your doing it
with a pair of cable cutters or pliers its just looking for trouble
Unless you have free tech support buy the cables ready made form a
reputable and trusted supplier. Doing it yourself save SFA in the
long run.

It's a fact. I make most of my patch cables myself (guess I'm just a
cheap bastard) and use solid core wire exclusively. Haven't had a
patch cable fail in over 8 years of doing them...

Raymond Sirois said:
It's a fact. I make most of my patch cables myself (guess I'm just a
cheap bastard) and use solid core wire exclusively. Haven't had a
patch cable fail in over 8 years of doing them...

I accept what you say as being true. And... professional cablers
use the pre-made patch cords. It's because they frequently have to
make a *lot* of them, and they don't want to wreck their writsts by
squeezing the crimp tool 100 times in an afternoon. It's also because
the pre-made patch cords are made by a machine which doesn't get
tired but which consistently applies the same correct pressure with
each crimp regardless of the number of hours per day it works. And
it's also because professionals have no control over the care which
their customers use in handling the patch cords and stranded cable is
more tolerant of flexing than solid wire cable. In the long run, using
pre-made patch cords maintains the level of quality of the cords and
keeps the customers happy, and it results in fewer trouble calls.

*TimDaniels*