Can't view some pages

wheeze

. Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail)

Subject: Can't view some pages from IE6 -- active
content problem?
From: "wheeze" <[email protected]>
Sent: 5/22/2004 9:22:34 PM

I recently installed XP, which updated me to IE6. Now I
find, however, that some pages are blank after they've
loaded up, so I see nothing, not even an error message.
I wonder if it has to do with active content, and I've
now fiddled with the security settings to prompt me
should any activex or java be required of the page I'm
trying to load, but to no avail.

A sample of a page I can't load is
http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/

Any suggestions?
..

Java problem? test Java http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.as

----- wheeze wrote: ----

. Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail)

content problem?
I recently installed XP, which updated me to IE6. Now I
find, however, that some pages are blank after they've
loaded up, so I see nothing, not even an error message.
I wonder if it has to do with active content, and I've
now fiddled with the security settings to prompt me
should any activex or java be required of the page I'm
trying to load, but to no avail

A sample of a page I can't load is
http://www.microsoft.com/billgates

Any suggestions

Robert Aldwinckle

(bottom post - find suggestions?)
wheeze said:
. Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail)

content problem?
I recently installed XP, which updated me to IE6. Now I
find, however, that some pages are blank after they've
loaded up, so I see nothing, not even an error message.
I wonder if it has to do with active content, and I've
now fiddled with the security settings to prompt me
should any activex or java be required of the page I'm
trying to load, but to no avail.

A sample of a page I can't load is
http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/

Any suggestions?

If you are getting anything from that site at all with Scripting set to Prompt
you should be getting an immediate "Scripts are usually safe..."
(without clearing the screen or showing anything new.)

Try testing your connectivity to that site using telnet from the command
line. Enter:

telnet -f telnet.txt www.microsoft.com 80

when the screen clears paste (you won't be able to see it written):

GET http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/default.asp

Then press Enter. Examine the capture file telnet.txt for clues
if what appears on the screen isn't sufficient.

BTW notice that others have been having difficulties accessing that domain
as long as they have some third-party programs installed such as the
Google toolbar. The Yahoo Companion toolbar has previously been
implicated with other problems. So it might be an idea to try uninstalling
all such programs while you are diagnosing your symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

wheeze

Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the Google bar off
and then tried navigating to the page through the MS
site, but it still didn't work. Then I typed in the
extension "default.asp" and it worked. What would this
mean I am missing?

wheeze

Thanks Arnold. I went to your test page and it looks like
Java is running just fine on my machine. Any other
suggestions?

thanks!

Robert Aldwinckle

wheeze said:
Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the Google bar off
and then tried navigating to the page through the MS
site, but it still didn't work. Then I typed in the
extension "default.asp" and it worked. What would this
mean I am missing?

The redirect. Depending on whether you have HTTP 1.0
or HTTP 1.1 protocol specified (Advanced tab),
that may be being inhibited by Security setting META Refresh.

E.g if you have META Refresh disabled you may have to use
HTTP 1.1 or do the redirect manually, essentially the way that
you did.

Good luck

Robert
---