Can't take over desktop when nobody is logged onto the remote pc

G

This happens on one of PC's on our domain-less LAN. RDP works fine for all other PC's but one of them will only allow RDP if a user is already logged in
The RDP session starts normal enough and the client is presented with a "User/Password" dialog. If the client has the same user account as the currently logged user on the remote, the desktop switches to the client. If the users are different, the current user on the remote pc gets a pop-up dialog to allow/disallow takeover of the remote. But when nobody is logged into the remote pc, any client trying to connect is immediatly logged off. The status dialog that pops up first shows "Loading personal settings..." but the switches quickly to "Closing all network connections...". After a while the RDP client terminates as if the user had logged off from a regular RDP session
Furthermore I noticed that the checkbox in the System Properties/Remote panel for remote desktop is checked but disabled (i.e. I cannot dis- or enable remote desktop, it's stuck on enabled)

Any help in this case is appreciated. TIA

G

Use VNC; its free and works great

----- Erick the Viking wrote: ----

This happens on one of PC's on our domain-less LAN. RDP works fine for all other PC's but one of them will only allow RDP if a user is already logged in
The RDP session starts normal enough and the client is presented with a "User/Password" dialog. If the client has the same user account as the currently logged user on the remote, the desktop switches to the client. If the users are different, the current user on the remote pc gets a pop-up dialog to allow/disallow takeover of the remote. But when nobody is logged into the remote pc, any client trying to connect is immediatly logged off. The status dialog that pops up first shows "Loading personal settings..." but the switches quickly to "Closing all network connections...". After a while the RDP client terminates as if the user had logged off from a regular RDP session
Furthermore I noticed that the checkbox in the System Properties/Remote panel for remote desktop is checked but disabled (i.e. I cannot dis- or enable remote desktop, it's stuck on enabled)

S

Shenan Stanley

Erick said:
This happens on one of PC's on our domain-less LAN. RDP works
fine for all other PC's but one of them will only allow RDP if a
user is already logged in. The RDP session starts normal enough
and the client is presented with a "User/Password" dialog. If the
client has the same user account as the currently logged user on the
remote, the desktop switches to the client. If the users are
different, the current user on the remote pc gets a pop-up dialog to
allow/disallow takeover of the remote. But when nobody is logged into
the remote pc, any client trying to connect is immediately logged off.
The status dialog that pops up first shows "Loading personal
settings..." but the switches quickly to "Closing all network
connections...". After a while the RDP client terminates as if the
user had logged off from a regular RDP session. Furthermore I noticed
that the checkbox in the System Properties/Remote panel for remote
desktop is checked but disabled (I.e. I cannot dis- or enable remote
desktop, it's stuck on enabled).

My said:
Use VNC; its free and works great.

Please suggest a flavor of VNC if you are going to suggest VNC at all.
I suggest UltraVNC..

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/index.html

S

Sooner Al

Look at this KB article for an explanation of how RD works at login...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

In order to enable/disable Remote Desktop you need to have Administrator privileges...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Erick the Viking said:
This happens on one of PC's on our domain-less LAN. RDP works fine for all other PC's but one of
them will only allow RDP if a user is already logged in.
The RDP session starts normal enough and the client is presented with a "User/Password" dialog. If
the client has the same user account as the currently logged user on the remote, the desktop
switches to the client. If the users are different, the current user on the remote pc gets a pop-up
dialog to allow/disallow takeover of the remote. But when nobody is logged into the remote pc, any
client trying to connect is immediatly logged off. The status dialog that pops up first shows
"Loading personal settings..." but the switches quickly to "Closing all network connections...".
After a while the RDP client terminates as if the user had logged off from a regular RDP session.
Furthermore I noticed that the checkbox in the System Properties/Remote panel for remote desktop
is checked but disabled (i.e. I cannot dis- or enable remote desktop, it's stuck on enabled).

G

Thanks for the tip. I'm not too keen on using that on WinXP because of the built in RDP, but this sounds like a great replacement for netmeeting and Win2k machines. Using Netmeeting Remote Desktop is downright painful compared to RDP under WinXP

----- Shenan Stanley wrote: -----

<snipped for brevity>
Please suggest a flavor of VNC if you are going to suggest VNC at all.
I suggest UltraVNC..

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/index.html

G

----- Sooner Al wrote: -----

Look at this KB article for an explanation of how RD works at login...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

In order to enable/disable Remote Desktop you need to have Administrator privileges...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Although the above article was informative it didn't address my problem.
In my case I get to the point (to quote MS-KBA 280828):

If Fast User Switching is enabled:
<snip>
If a user tries to connect remotely and nobody is logged on to the remote computer or if the user is the one currently logged on to it, the user will connect automatically.
<endquote>
Unfortunatly the remote will then immediatly close all network connections and log the user (me in this case) off.
I am in the Admin group (not the default built in Administrator account) and the Remote Desktop User groups on the Remote, could this be a problem?
I suspect more that a required service or registry entry is missing.

Ask a Question