Can't startup after Windows 2000 SP4 install (0x80462147)

R

Randy

I get the following error:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x80462147, 0x00000000, 0x0000514F)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Address 80462147 base at 80400000, DateStamp 3ee6c002 - ntoskrnl.exe

Now I know that this error means that there is a problem with a
driver. Apparently 0x80462147 is the driver in question, however, how
can I translate this address to the driver name?

G

George Hester

No. Address 80462147 is the address location of where the access violation 0xC0000005 occurred. Yes probably a driver. And more then likely SCSI your CD-Writng software.

R

Randy

First, thank you very much for your reply. This problem will be the
death of me.

Second, I uninstalled my CD Writing Software and that seemed to make
no difference at all. It is starting to look like I am screwed and
will have to re-install windows and start from scratch.

G

George Hester

Uninstalling CD Writing software does not remove the dlls that are put there in your system32 folder. I can prove this. Go to right-click My Computer | Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View | Show hidden devices. Now in the below tree expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers. You will find many of your CD Writing software dlls in here. If you can those that are light gray and that DO correspond to your removed CD Writing software right click and choose uninstall. Only those. Do not do this with all the light gray ones.

The other place where the dlls for such software reside is in C:\Program Files\Common Files usually under a folder by the maker of the software. How to remove them from there correctly is not something I am familiar with doing and just deleting I would not recommend. Anyway that is the trouble I believe- the CD Writing drivers.. You might try this. Install Windows Medai Player 9 with the CD-Writing options selected. Then reboot. That is if you can even get that far. Sorry not much help I know.

Have you tried Safe Mode?

Ask a Question