Can't setup new email account

Birdie

I am trying to set up a new email address. I have duplicated exactly my
other 2 addresses properties but it won't work. When I click on send/receive
everything is fine with the first 2 email address but with the new one it
asks for username and password. It won't accept what I enter, so when I
cancel, the error I get is copied below:

Account: 'pop.embarqmail.com (2)', Server: 'pop.embarqmail.com', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid login or password', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I am using AVG Anti-Virus Free .Hope someone can help. Thank you.
Birdie

Gary VanderMolen

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Your AVG antivirus was probably installed with its default install option,
which installs an email scanning module. Just disabling its email scanning
may not be a sufficient remedy. Uninstall AVG, then reinstall, but select
'custom' install, which then allows you to unselect installing its
troublesome email scanning module.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see
:http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Birdie" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a new email address. I have duplicated exactly my
other 2 addresses properties but it won't work. When I click on send/receive
everything is fine with the first 2 email address but with the new one it
asks for username and password. It won't accept what I enter, so when I
cancel, the error I get is copied below:

Account: 'pop.embarqmail.com (2)', Server: 'pop.embarqmail.com', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid login or password', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I am using AVG Anti-Virus Free .Hope someone can help. Thank you.
Birdie

Birdie

Thanks for your reply. I had to log in to my provider's webmail website,
then add the new account there before I could add the new account (email
address) to my Windows Mail. It is working fine.
Birdie

Gary VanderMolen

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.
I didn't realize you had not yet created that new email address via your provider.
That is always the first step.

"Birdie" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply. I had to log in to my provider's webmail website,
then add the new account there before I could add the new account (email
address) to my Windows Mail. It is working fine.
Birdie

Roel Felipe

try to contact your internet provider and ask them to give your incoming and
outgoing server name.