Can't receive mail

JoanieG

I have problems receiving mail. I've worked through the trouble shooting
guidelines and nothing works. I get a Windows Security box requesting user
name and password but entering the details doesn't fix the problem The
strange thing is that sometimes after I have gone in and reentered details in
the Accounts Properties - Server tab it will down load them BUT NOT EVERY
TIME. The Error message below is the most common one that I get.

Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for
maintenance, try again.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Any ideas?????

PropRod

Chances are that it's your antivirus program. Disable it and try to receive
mail. If it works, you'll need to tweak the settings in the antivirus
program. I use Avast! and I just turned mail scanning off completely
because of this problem.

JoanieG

Thanks that worked. I use AVG Free and will now go an check the settings

JoanieG said:
I have problems receiving mail. I've worked through the trouble shooting
guidelines and nothing works. I get a Windows Security box requesting
user
name and password but entering the details doesn't fix the problem The
strange thing is that sometimes after I have gone in and reentered details
in
the Accounts Properties - Server tab it will down load them BUT NOT EVERY
TIME. The Error message below is the most common one that I get.

Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or
for
maintenance, try again.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Any ideas?????

.

JoanieG

This morning the same problem is back so I went in and turned off email scan.
Made no difference. Error message is still the same. I can't figure it out
can anyone else?

JoanieG said:
I have problems receiving mail. I've worked through the trouble shooting
guidelines and nothing works. I get a Windows Security box requesting
user
name and password but entering the details doesn't fix the problem The
strange thing is that sometimes after I have gone in and reentered details
in
the Accounts Properties - Server tab it will down load them BUT NOT EVERY
TIME. The Error message below is the most common one that I get.

Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or
for
maintenance, try again.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Any ideas?????

.

Gary VanderMolen

That's a server error; it has nothing to do with your antivirus.
Make sure you are checking your mail no more frequently than once every
5 minutes. More frequent checking can 'hang' your mailbox on the the server.
If the problem continues, have Bigpond reset the mailbox on the server.

Note: Please limit posting to one thread per issue, although you can post
in a given thread as often as you want if it pertains to the same issue.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)