Can't publish to http://localhost/WebName...?

Kenneth

Howdy,

I run FP2003...

I have a disk based web, but want to set it up as a server based web
because of the added functionality.

I checked to see that I had all components of IIS installed. I also
checked to see that the extensions are on board.

Then, I tried to publish my (disk-based) web to
http://localhost/WebName but got the error:

"Could not find a webserver at localhost on Port 80."

I get the same error when I try to create a new web on localhost.

I also tried describing the destination as http://SystemName/WebName
with the same results.

What should I try next?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

Howdy,

I run FP2003...

I have a disk based web, but want to set it up as a server based web
because of the added functionality.

I checked to see that I had all components of IIS installed. I also
checked to see that the extensions are on board.

Then, I tried to publish my (disk-based) web to
http://localhost/WebName but got the error:

"Could not find a webserver at localhost on Port 80."

I get the same error when I try to create a new web on localhost.

I also tried describing the destination as http://SystemName/WebName
with the same results.

What should I try next?

Sincere thanks,

Ooops... I should add that this is a Win2K pro box.

Thomas A. Rowe

Did you configure the extensions for the default web?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas A. Rowe

Open IIS MMC, then right click on the web (default), then All Task, and ...

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Kenneth

Open IIS MMC, then right click on the web (default), then All Task, and ...

Hi Thomas,

With regret, I have no idea what IIS "MMC" means.

Thanks again,

Thomas A. Rowe

Control Panel | Admin Tools | Internet Information Server (IIS).

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Kenneth

Control Panel | Admin Tools | Internet Information Server (IIS).

Hi again Thomas,

O.K. thanks...

Now, putting together you last two messages, I should go into Control
Panel | Admin Tools | Internet Information Server (IIS) and

"then right click on the web (default), then All Task, and ..."

but, beneath Admin Tools, I do not have an entry for IIS.

I definitely have IIS installed. When the installation ended, it
displayed "Installation Successful." Also, if I view Start | Settings
| Control Panel | Add Remove programs | Add Remove Windows Components
I find that IIS is checked. When I select it to view Details, I see a
list 8 items, all checked. One of them is IIS Snap-In.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that this Snap-In is the interface that
I should be finding in Admin Tools, but no cigar. It does not appear.

I eventually figured out your MMC suggestion (well.. sort of...) and
have added IIS to the console. I have little clue as to what should
happen next.

Might you have further suggestions?

Thomas A. Rowe

Yes, you have access the IIS Snap-In. Have you re-booted after installing IIS?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Kenneth

Yes, you have access the IIS Snap-In. Have you re-booted after installing IIS?

I did re-boot, but I don't understand the rest of your comment...

In a sense I have access to the snap-in in that I can add it to the
console, but in the sense of seeing it in the Admin Tools list, no
luck.

Thanks for any further thoughts,

Thomas A. Rowe

Once you open Admin Tools and double click the IIS MMC, then you have to locate your default web,
then right click, then select All Task, then you will see an option to configure or apply the
extensions to the current web.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Kenneth

Once you open Admin Tools and double click the IIS MMC, then you have to locate your default web,
then right click, then select All Task, then you will see an option to configure or apply the
extensions to the current web.

Hi again Thomas,

I don't know how to describe this more clearly...

I said earlier:

""I should go into Control Panel | Admin Tools | Internet Information
Server (IIS) and "then right click on the web (default), then All
Task, and ..."

but, beneath Admin Tools, I do not have an entry for IIS."
^^^

As I have described, I have installed IIS. I have re-booted the box
but...

The problem I am having is that despite the installation, and the
re-boot, when I open Admin Tools, what you call the "IIS MMC" is NOT
there. Really. It does not appear. There is NOTHING in the list that
relates to IIS at all.

If I go to Control Panel | Admin Tools | Services|, a list of services
appears and that list includes IIS. But when I do that, none of the
options you describe seem to be available when I double click it.

Have you given me the correct location, or did you want me to go a
layer deeper to |Admin Tolls | Services?

Might you have suggestions about how I can get it to appear in Admin
Tools, or, perhaps, another way that I can access that function.

Might you, for example, provide me the name of the exe file that the
"IIS MMC" launches?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Hi again Thomas,

Right now, I am not at the box on which I am having the troubles.

On this second system, I did not have IIS installed, and so, I decided
to install here just to see if something different happened.

It did.

Now, on this system in Admin Tools there are three new entries:

1: Internet Services Manager
2: Personal Web Manager
3: Server Extensions Administrator

None of these has the name IIS, or Internet Information Services, and
none of these three entries appear on the box with the trouble despite
the fact that there are several other indications that IIS is
apparently installed.

So, I now have two questions:

First - What should I do on the troubled system to get these three
tools to appear? Should I try to "repair" IIS, or uninstall and
re-install? Or is there another method you would suggest.

Second - Assuming that I can get the three tools to appear, on which
one should I double click to get to the procedure you outline so that
I can "apply the extensions to the current web?"

Thanks again,

Thomas A. Rowe

Which version of Windows are you running?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas A. Rowe

Sorry, I don't keep read messages.

I don't know why you can't see this, but would suggest that you post to the appropriate Windows
Newsgroup for help with this.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Kenneth

Sorry, I don't keep read messages.

I don't know why you can't see this, but would suggest that you post to the appropriate Windows
Newsgroup for help with this.

Hi Thomas,

With respect, we have 16 messages in this thread, and now you suggest
that this is the wrong group?

What group would you think more appropriate?

Thanks again,

Thomas A. Rowe

Not the wrong group for FP related issue, wrong group for dealing with accessing the IIS MMC. Once
you have that solve, then you can post back here for any additional FP issues.
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Kenneth

Sorry, I don't keep read messages.

I don't know why you can't see this, but would suggest that you post to the appropriate Windows
Newsgroup for help with this.

Hello again,

To my amazement, I had some success when I un-installed then
re-installed IIS (though I had tried that before unsuccessfully.)

Now, in Admin Tools there are three new entries:

1: Internet Services Manager
2: Personal Web Manager
3: Server Extensions Administrator

Now that I can get the three tools to appear, on which
one should I double click to get to the procedure you outline so that
I can "apply the extensions to the current web?"

Thanks again,

Thomas A. Rowe

Try #1. Still might be a good idea to post to the Windows Newsgroup, unless someone here is
currently running Windows 2000 Pro.

I have Windows XP Home, Pro and 2003 Server. Pro and Server do not have those 3 items, they have IIS
MMC, and if I recall correctly this was the same when I was running 2000 server.