Can’t ping parent domain name?

brj1

We have a Windows 2000 AD domain cityname-tn.org located at city hall.
We have a Windows 2000 AD Child domain electric.cityname-tn.org
located at the electric department. Everything seems to work fine
except the child domain can’t find domain controllers for the parent
domain.

Pinging the cityname-tn.org comes back with unknown host.
NSlookup cityname-tn.org returns nothing with no error.

I can ping any computer in this domain just not the domain itself.

I have tried setting up forwarders from the child domain to the
parent. I can not get it to work.

What should I be looking for or what tools should I be using to fix
this.

Thanks

brj1

I have found something that might be a problem. If I look in the DNS
configuration of my child domain the zone is named the parent domain.

Such as. Parent domain DNS servers zone is xyz.com.
Child domain DNS servers zone is xyz.com instead of child.xyz.com.

Is this a problem or is this correct. These are all Windows 2000 AD
integrated zones

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
brj1 said:
I have found something that might be a problem. If I look in the DNS
configuration of my child domain the zone is named the parent domain.

Such as. Parent domain DNS servers zone is xyz.com.
Child domain DNS servers zone is xyz.com instead of child.xyz.com.

Is this a problem or is this correct. These are all Windows 2000 AD
integrated zones.

That totally depends on your infrastructure design. If the child DNs servers
are serving the remote locations, and are pretty much either decentralized
administratively or for ease of traffic, I would suggest to delegate the
child domain name from the parent to the DNS servers in the respective child
domain. DO this for each. In the child domain DNS server, configure a
forwarder back tothe parent. From the parent, forward to the ISP.

Keep in mind, ALL domains in this scenario cannot be replicated forest wide
other than the _msdcs zone.

255248 - HOW TO Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the
DNS Namespace to the Child Domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255248

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Herb Martin

brj1 said:
We have a Windows 2000 AD domain cityname-tn.org located at city hall.
We have a Windows 2000 AD Child domain electric.cityname-tn.org
located at the electric department. Everything seems to work fine
except the child domain can't find domain controllers for the parent
domain.

How do your child DNS servers (the one used by the
child domains) find the parent DNS servers (ones
holding the parent zone)?

Conditional forwarding? Holding a secondary for the
parent? some other way?
Pinging the cityname-tn.org comes back with unknown host.
NSlookup cityname-tn.org returns nothing with no error.

I can ping any computer in this domain just not the domain itself.

Check by IP just to make sure that it isn't a firewall or routing
issue....
I have tried setting up forwarders from the child domain to the
parent. I can not get it to work.

Usually you would want to CONDITIONALLY Forward,
rather than use the "general" (all other domains) setting but
both COULD work.
What should I be looking for or what tools should I be using to fix
this.

NSLookup is your firend.

Using it to check EXPLICTLY to figure out which
server(s) hold(s) the problem.

nslookup -time=10 cityname-tn.org IP.Address.DNS.Server

The key is that final IP which you use to SPECIFY each
DNS server in the chain until you find the culprit(s).