can't open xls files from win 98 se on xp home edision

coppied files from win 98 se but unable to view on xp can anybody help please its all new to me

Gordon

mick said:
coppied files from win 98 se but unable to view on xp can anybody help please its all new to me

XP does not have Excel in it. You DO have Excel installed, don't you?

Shenan Stanley

mick said:
copied files from win 98 se but unable to view on xp can anybody
help please its all new to me

Let me ask the obvious question, to get it out of the way.

You mention "xls" files in the subject - I suppose you know these are
Microsoft Office (particularly Microsoft Excel) files. In order to "view
and edit" them, you need to have Microsoft Office (or at least Microsoft
Excel) installed or some other application that can read them. By default,
Windows XP (Home or Professional) does NOT come with these types of
applications.

Malvern

There are free downloadable viewers from Microsoft for Office applications
BUT that is all they allow you to do. Sorry, I lost the exact website;
anyone else know ?

Malv

Paul

xls is Excel isnt it? Is Excel / MS Office installed
on XP. It's not part of XP. You have to install it
separately.

please explain exactly what I need to install to view these files and
how difficult it will be for someone who knows virtually nothing regarding
pcs.
is there software I can purchase to view these files or are there other
programs
that will enable me to view what I am being sent? can they be purchased
online?
Are they free downloads or will I need to purchase them from the company?

thanx in advance for your help

Suuz

Vanguard

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You can view for free. To edit you can pay for Excel (although most
spreadsheets can import).

To get an Excel viewer
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=ex...49-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN

http://www.uscricket.com
Suuzanne said:
please explain exactly what I need to install to view these files and
how difficult it will be for someone who knows virtually nothing
regarding
pcs.
is there software I can purchase to view these files or are there
other
programs
that will enable me to view what I am being sent? can they be
purchased
online?
Are they free downloads or will I need to purchase them from the
company?

A shorter URL (without having to get redirected through Yahoo):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C

There is a newer version at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0

Jeff Gaines

please explain exactly what I need to install to view these files and
how difficult it will be for someone who knows virtually nothing
regarding pcs.

Just to pick up on the install point.

Most modern s/w has very good installation routines which literally
hold your hand through the whole process so you shouldn't have any
problems.