Can't open Secured Access 2003 Database in Access 2007

Jeff Byrd

I am in the process of converting from Access 2003 to Access 2007. I have
my 2003 frontend database sitting on the local computer and the 2003 backend
on the server. The workgroup information file sits on the server also. I
use the Workgroup Administer to join the workgroup from the local computer.
I have installed Access 2007 on the local computer and am atempting to open
the 2003 front end database. When I attempt to open it I get the message
that says "You do not have the neccessary permisions to use the
"c:\\frontend database.mdb object" When using Access 2003 this means that
you need to join the workgroup. You can open openAccess 2007 does not seem
to allow me to join the workgroup to open the frontend on my local machine.

I have to belive there is a way to do this. I have read the help section
referring to Access 2003 user-level security and it does not seem to address
this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joan Wild

If you convert the 2003 to the 2007 accdb format, security is ignored.
Security was dropped for 2007 accdb format.

If you are converting to the 2007 mdb format, security is still supported.
You can join a workgroup in 2007, however that isn't recommended (even in
past versions).

You should create a desktop shortcut that specifies the workgroup file to
use
"path to 2007msaccess.exe" "path to mdb" /wrkgrp "path to secure.mdw"

If you really want to change your default to the secure mdw you can use
Database Tools...Administer...Users and Permissions or from code
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator

Joined
Jun 13, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi Joan-

I am having this EXACT problem. Would you mind making a more concrete example of what your short cut path might look like?

In the meantime I am going to TRY to figure it out on my own.

Thanks
Barry

--
Joan Wild