Cant Open Excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I'm in trouble , Pls Help me

This morning, i can't open my excel file that i edited yesterday, when i open this, the following box drop!!!

" Excel cannot open the file "filename.xlsx"because the file format or file extension is not valid.Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the file format of the file."

Why and How to solve this

Regards

Reaction score
There are 2 things to look at first:
1. If the filename starts with !~ (or something like that) it is a temp file that got stuck and not the actual file.
2. Rename the file and change ".xlsx" to ".xls" and try again.

If neither of those work, try opening it in Notepad to see if there is anything at all left. Another option would be to open Excel, go to File | Open. Select the file in the open window and choose Tools in the bottom right, then choose Open and Repair.

Reaction score
Sometimes you can 'fake out' Excel (and other programs). Open Excel, then open task manager. Select Excel from the programs in task manager and kill the process. Open up Excel, from time to time it will allow you to pick from files that were stored from auto save.

This may or may not work in your case. I have used it several times to support users who save to a location on the network that is not accessible anymore (for example).

Stoneboysteve

Reaction score
I can't still open the excel file although i tried your suggestions and other excel recovery tools.

:(:(

Reaction score
I am new on here, just wanna share what ive known...

To find out if a file is marked read-only right click on the file in Windows Explorer. Select "Properties" from the menu that pops up. At the bottom of the dialog that appears are the attributes for that particular file. See if the Read-only box is checked. If so, you won't be allowed to modify the file. To take the read-only attribute off the file uncheck the box. Again, be aware that if some program requires that file to be read-only and you change that attribute or the file's name you may have system problems. Use caution.

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in trouble , Pls Help me

This morning, i can't open my excel file that i edited yesterday, when i open this, the following box drop!!!

" Excel cannot open the file "filename.xlsx"because the file format or file extension is not valid.Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the file format of the file."

Why and How to solve this

Regards

Some times Excel files are corrupted due to various reasons like improper system shut down while file is in use, virus attacks, abrupt closing of MS Excel etc, result you are facing. In such conditions you need to use some excel recovery tool for re access that specific file and get back your file data. For same reason a good Excel file recovery software is needed, so you can go for Kernel for Excel file recovery software for the recovery of your excel file.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
old thread, closing

:user:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question