Can't install SATA driver when Installing XP Pro on AsusA7N8XD!

G

When I try to install Windows XP Professional on my PC with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, I hit F6 during installation to install the SATA drivers which I copied from my motherboard installation CD to a floppy disk. I hit S then choose 'Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller' from the floopy. Then I hit Enter to continue the Windows XP install. Setup continues copying files for a little while but eventually stops with an error stating that 'Setup cannot copy the file: si3112r.sys'. I looked on the floopy and the file is there, I'm wondering if it is looking for the file in a different directory or something. I looked in the TxtSetup.oem file on the floppy but wasn't quite sure what to look for. The floppy drive access light flashes when I hit Enter to retry the file but it never finds the file.
I have tried skipping the file (and skipping the other files it asks for) but Windows XP Setup eventually stops with an error
I also tried setting up Windows XP without hitting F6 and setup stops saying that it can't find my hard drive
I even tried downloading the latest Silicon Image Sil 3112 drivers from Silicon's web site and creating a floppy just like they tell you to on the web site. I get a similar error but with a different filename that can't be found
Until I can figure out a way to install this SATA driver, I can't install windows on my PC

If anyone has a suggestion I would sure appreciate it...It seems like a lot of other people in this forum are having trouble with SATA drives! I tried to look at the ASUS forum but it is shut down for some reason.

G

persevere with the ASUS web site, and you can download the floppy installation again, I had EXACTLY the same problems with mine, and wonder now if the files on the CD are corrupt..

I downloaded the drivers from ASUS site, and installation worked fine with them...

----- Greg Shattuck wrote: -----

When I try to install Windows XP Professional on my PC with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, I hit F6 during installation to install the SATA drivers which I copied from my motherboard installation CD to a floppy disk. I hit S then choose 'Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller' from the floopy. Then I hit Enter to continue the Windows XP install. Setup continues copying files for a little while but eventually stops with an error stating that 'Setup cannot copy the file: si3112r.sys'. I looked on the floopy and the file is there, I'm wondering if it is looking for the file in a different directory or something. I looked in the TxtSetup.oem file on the floppy but wasn't quite sure what to look for. The floppy drive access light flashes when I hit Enter to retry the file but it never finds the file.
I have tried skipping the file (and skipping the other files it asks for) but Windows XP Setup eventually stops with an error.
I also tried setting up Windows XP without hitting F6 and setup stops saying that it can't find my hard drive.
I even tried downloading the latest Silicon Image Sil 3112 drivers from Silicon's web site and creating a floppy just like they tell you to on the web site. I get a similar error but with a different filename that can't be found.
Until I can figure out a way to install this SATA driver, I can't install windows on my PC!

If anyone has a suggestion I would sure appreciate it...It seems like a lot of other people in this forum are having trouble with SATA drives! I tried to look at the ASUS forum but it is shut down for some reason.

J

Jerry

You said the floppy had SATA Raid Controllers. Is your motherboard set to a
RAID configuration?

I ask because my ABIT IC7-MAX3 has BIOS SATA settings for RAID and IDE.
Check yours and if you're not doing a RAID installation switch to IDE.

Greg Shattuck said:
When I try to install Windows XP Professional on my PC with an ASUS A7N8X
Deluxe motherboard, I hit F6 during installation to install the SATA drivers
which I copied from my motherboard installation CD to a floppy disk. I hit S
then choose 'Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller' from the floopy.
Then I hit Enter to continue the Windows XP install. Setup continues copying
files for a little while but eventually stops with an error stating that
'Setup cannot copy the file: si3112r.sys'. I looked on the floopy and the
file is there, I'm wondering if it is looking for the file in a different
directory or something. I looked in the TxtSetup.oem file on the floppy but
wasn't quite sure what to look for. The floppy drive access light flashes
when I hit Enter to retry the file but it never finds the file.
I have tried skipping the file (and skipping the other files it asks for)
but Windows XP Setup eventually stops with an error.
I also tried setting up Windows XP without hitting F6 and setup stops
saying that it can't find my hard drive.
I even tried downloading the latest Silicon Image Sil 3112 drivers from
Silicon's web site and creating a floppy just like they tell you to on the
web site. I get a similar error but with a different filename that can't be
found.
Until I can figure out a way to install this SATA driver, I can't install windows on my PC!

If anyone has a suggestion I would sure appreciate it...It seems like a
lot of other people in this forum are having trouble with SATA drives! I
tried to look at the ASUS forum but it is shut down for some reason.

G

The Motherboard knows what to do (even if NOT using RAID configuration) the SATA drive still needs to use the SATA Raid controller (completely separate from IDE

One thing I forgot to mention (although the original question still seems to me to be the corrupt drivers from the Installation CD) Check the jumpers on the Motherboard, the manual explains it quite well, but you need to change jumper settings to boot from SATA (If I remember correctly

Coli

----- Jerry wrote: ----

You said the floppy had SATA Raid Controllers. Is your motherboard set to
RAID configuration

I ask because my ABIT IC7-MAX3 has BIOS SATA settings for RAID and IDE
Check yours and if you're not doing a RAID installation switch to IDE

G

Greg Shattuck

My motherboard has a SATA RAID controller chip on it but
I only have 1 HD hooked up to it. The hard drive works
fine, I put an IDE drive in my machine just to get it
running for now and I can see both drives in windows. The
problem is just when I try to perform the installation of
XP and the SATA drivers get loaded from the floppy. I
also checked in the motherboard BIOS but there is no
mention of the SATA there. When I boot the machine the
SATA controller chip comes up with its own BIOS (like a
SCSI card).
I also checked the jumpers on my motherboard and there is
only one to enable/disable SATA (it is currently set to
enabled).

Maybe I will try using Ghost to transfer an image of my
IDE hard drive to the SATA drive now that I have the IDE
drive working.

G

Had quite a similar problem on a A7N8X-E Deluxe: WinXP setup was not able to read the files from the floppy.
Solved it by downloading the XP setup program creating the 6 boot floppy disks, and booting from the floppy. Then setup was able to read the SATA drivers from the floppy.
Also downloaded the drivers from Silicon Image site and used them as release is more up-to-date and logo certified. So can't say anything about a corruption of the files from the Asus CD or site.

----- Greg Shattuck wrote: -----

I have tried skipping the file (and skipping the other files it asks for) but Windows XP Setup eventually stops with an error.
I also tried setting up Windows XP without hitting F6 and setup stops saying that it can't find my hard drive.
I even tried downloading the latest Silicon Image Sil 3112 drivers from Silicon's web site and creating a floppy just like they tell you to on the web site. I get a similar error but with a different filename that can't be found.

G

same for a controller card on is-7 abit,found it helps to push f-lock before f-6 to unlock

Ask a Question