cant get computer to find network printer on other computer

G

I have a printer on on a win98 computer and gave printing sharing as well as check shared box for the printer (epson 777). On 2nd computer using Win 2000 - I have created add port/new port type/local port/C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS/new port/named the port. Also can see the network sharing the printer.
But when I test print- the print icon shows up on the 2000 but nothing happens on the win98 computer - ie no printing.
Please help. Thanks

D

Dennis Jarvis

Try installing the drivers on the 2k box. And delete the
port all together. Open up My Network Places on the 2k box
and browse to the printer. Right click on the printer and
select connect. This should take care of the problem, if
not please post a reply and we can discuss another option!

-----Original Message-----
I have a printer on on a win98 computer and gave printing
sharing as well as check shared box for the printer (epson
777). On 2nd computer using Win 2000 - I have created add
port/new port type/local port/C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
\DRIVERS/new port/named the port. Also can see the network
sharing the printer.
But when I test print- the print icon shows up on the
2000 but nothing happens on the win98 computer - ie no
printing.

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

This should actually be a network printer not a local printer. The easiest way to configure the printer is to browse to it via my
network places. Find the machine with the printer and double click on the machine. The printer will show up in the list of shared
resources. Right click on the printer and choose the option to install. You will probably be prompted for the drivers. As soon as
it's loaded, you will be able to print to it.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

Ask a Question