Can't change home page from msn.com

MK

I installed XP pro on a new system, transferred all my files, did all up
dates. For some reason, I can't change the home page. It always reverts to
msn.com. In the window where you enter your home page it always says:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x1009&pver=6.0&ar=home.
If I change it, close IE and look again, it's back to the above.
In the registry (Local Machine ), the start page is set to:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home
I've had NAV and Adaware scan the system, but it checks out fine. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael

Don Varnau

Hi,
Are you running a program that prevents the changing of the homepage?
Ad-aware free doesn't have this feature- NAV might. Spyware Blaster, Spybot
S&D and other programs can lock the homepage. Look through settings of
security, privacy, anti-spyware programs.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

MK

Thanks. Yes, it was NAV. Didn't realise the new version had that feature.
Michael

MK said:
I installed XP pro on a new system, transferred all my files, did all up
dates. For some reason, I can't change the home page. It always reverts
msn.com. In the window where you enter your home page it always says:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x1009&pver=6.0&ar=home.
If I change it, close IE and look again, it's back to the above.
In the registry (Local Machine ), the start page is set to:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home
I've had NAV and Adaware scan the system, but it checks out fine. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael

kjv1611

Hey, all, I'm having the exact same problem. I had these security
programs on my pc when trying to set home page:

Zonelabs Zone Alarm
Grisoft AVG Antivirus
Spybot Search and Destroy
SpywareBlaster
Ad-Aware Personal SE
I've been searching all over for an answer - I've tried some registry
editing per other ideas, scanned for viruses and spyware (is a new
installation, and have rarely seen any malware of any form on previous
installs - very security concious). Anyway, I have uninstalled
everything except the firewall so far. I have to wait for another
program to finish a process before I can reboot my machine (AVG and
Spybot needed to restart to finish uninstallation). After that, I'll
see if it was indeed one of those. If not, I'll try the firewall.
Then, if still not working, I'll go get the ole hammer! J/K of course.
I've reinstalled/reformatted/reconfigured many many times, and this is
a first for me as well - same "redirect" and all. All
Windows/spyware/antivirus updates, and such. I checked every setting I
could see in every program... Hopefully after the reboot, it will fix,
and then I can reinstall all that stuff. If it is the reboot, then
it's either AVG or Spybot in my case. I'll be sure to post back in
case someone else has the same problem, later.

Don said:
You're welcome. Glad you found the guilty party. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"MK" <northcliffeh[athotmail.com> wrote in message
I installed XP pro on a new system, transferred all my files, did all up
dates. For some reason, I can't change the home page. It always reverts
msn.com. In the window where you enter your home page it always says:

http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&clcid=0x1009&pver=6.0&ar=home.
If I change it, close IE and look again, it's back to the above.
In the registry (Local Machine ), the start page is set to:

http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home
I've had NAV and Adaware scan the system, but it checks out fine. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael

kjv1611

Well, I tried rebooting - still no fix, now uninstalling Zonelabs...

MK said:
[...]

Ta-Da! Ok, I rebooted after uninstalling Zonelabs Zone Alarm, and
viola! I can change my homepage. So, apparently, various security
companies are getting into the whole deal of blockign home pages from
being changed. But, if they want to help the end user, they need to
block it from being changed from outside of the web browser, rather
than the user him or herself.

Oh well, mine is fixed now. So we know that NAV and Zone Alarm both
apparently block the changing of the home page! I'll have to try and
look a little harder for that setting after reinstalling it all again.