Can't add route if user is not an admin on machine.

Joe Rogulski

I have users on my network who are not admins on their
machines. They need to access another network outside our
IP range. If I make them admins, they can perform the
following command in DOS. IP addresses are not what they
are listed.

route add 170.x.x.x 192.168.2.2

If they are admins, this action is performed correctly and
everyone is able to access that app.

If they are Power Users they cannot perform this action.
It tells them that access to the Network Services is
denied. The 192.168.2.2 address is the inside interface
of a router on the inside of my network that goes through
a lease line to another company. Just a FYI. Any idea
on what rights need to be given to perform this specific
task? Thanks in advance.

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Joe,

Regarding your post below, the following might help explain:

163107 Administrator Privilege Required to Change TCP/IP Settings
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=163107

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE