Access Cant Access My Documents Folder

Reaction score
i made my documents folder private, a few days ago i used system recovery to re-install all windows applications and put my settings and folders into a folder named 'MY OLD DISK STRUCTURE'
problem is when i used system recovery i lost all the rights to access the 'My Documents' folder which i made private. all my work and data is in that folder

i cannot access it

please help me

cheers

Reaction score
Hi Nadz786,
It's easy. Go to my computer, click on tools, folder options, view, go to the end of the page, and uncheck the "Use simple file sharing". Click on ok to go back.
Now go to your documents folder, right click on it,properties, security, advanced, check the Replace permission entries... at the bottom , the select the owner tab, select the administrator account, then check the "replace owner on subcontainers...". Click ok, and you're done.

Don't send me flowers.

Wolfgang.

Reaction score
once again

well the problem is that i dont have the 'simple file sharing icon' in the folder options folder.

i am an administrator and i have wibndows xp home edition, service pack 1.

this is killing me

pls help

thankx

Reaction score
Hi Again,
in that case , you need to start your computer in safe mode, log on as an administrator, and skip the simple file sharing move.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

How to take ownership of a folder
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307874 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/) How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Back to the top

How to take ownership of a file
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

Wolfgang
Beirut/Lebanon

Last edited:
Reaction score
Folders Properties

Can anyone please help
I can't access the properties and sharing/security options on folders on my pc, in C or D or any partion

when I right click any folder and select properties or sharing/security, nothing happens.

Win XP with sp2

please help.

otunba

Last edited:
Reaction score
All I did was set the www services in the services to manual, reboot the pc and was fine
Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
i did that before - open up internet explorer. In the address bar type C:\ . Click on tools at the top and then folder options. Click the view tab and where it says hidden files and folders, select show hidden files and folders . That's usually how it works

Reaction score
You may set up permissions in XP Home like in XP Pro and even more easily!
Not only in safe mode.
Today XP Professional Permissions available in XP Home.

Using File Security Manager - absolutely new and unique sofware you can manage file and folder permissions in Windows XP Home like Windows XP Professional users.

This program allows you edit advanced permissions, change owner of the files, view effective permissions. Interface of the program is like XP Pro Access Control editor. The program includes even more useful features - Security Wizard, fast File Navigator and Secure Deletion. Also you can perform any security tasks over network - just map network drive.

The program suitable for laptops and home or office PCs with Windows XP Home installed.

Program includes HELP system and convenient wizard - it is very simple in use (wizard).

To read more information/download the program just go to:
http://ungsoft.com/fsm/
or download it directly at:
http://ungsoft.nm.ru/fsm_v1en.exe

Ask a Question