Can't access corporate website??

I have a weird problem at one of my clients. They have a webpage that is
hosted by an outside company and they sometimes have problems getting it to
display on the PC's on their internal network, but they can access any other
page on the web. If they type the IP address of their webpage they can
connect but then none of the page links work. Now after a few hours
everything will work normal again. We have talked with the hosting company
and the ISP and they are saying everything is fine and it must be an internal
problem. They have a 2000 server that was setup as a domain controller with
DHCP and DNS but AD was removed a few months ago and now it is basically just
used as a workgroup server. Could there be any DNS stuff left on the server
that is causing these problems?? I am not sure what is going on, any advice
is appreciated.

Kurt

Any DNS stuff left on the server wouldn't be a problem unless clients were
still using it as their DNS server. This usually happens when an internal
domain is named the same as a public domain and local resolution does not
have records for the off-site host's IP address. When you get one that's not
working, do an nslookup for the web paage and see which server resolves the
address and what it is resolved to.

....kurt

SIME via WinServerKB.com

Hi

Where do those ex domain clients machines point for their DNS since the DC
has been demoted?

What forward zones are on the DNS server?

Simon
MCP MCDST A+

Any DNS stuff left on the server wouldn't be a problem unless clients were
still using it as their DNS server. This usually happens when an internal
domain is named the same as a public domain and local resolution does not
have records for the off-site host's IP address. When you get one that's not
working, do an nslookup for the web paage and see which server resolves the
address and what it is resolved to.

...kurt
I have a weird problem at one of my clients. They have a webpage that is
hosted by an outside company and they sometimes have problems getting it
[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
advice
is appreciated.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Eric said:
I have a weird problem at one of my clients. They have a webpage that
is hosted by an outside company and they sometimes have problems
getting it to display on the PC's on their internal network, but they
can access any other page on the web. If they type the IP address of
their webpage they can connect but then none of the page links work.
Now after a few hours everything will work normal again. We have
talked with the hosting company and the ISP and they are saying
everything is fine and it must be an internal problem. They have a
2000 server that was setup as a domain controller with DHCP and DNS
but AD was removed a few months ago and now it is basically just used
as a workgroup server. Could there be any DNS stuff left on the
server that is causing these problems?? I am not sure what is going
on, any advice is appreciated.

Is (or was) the client's internal Active Directory domain name the same name
as the external domain (website) name?

How are the clietns setup in IP properties? Are they using the internal
domain only, or a mix internal and external (ISP's) DNS servers?

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

Not sure how? It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile.

The only thing in life is change. Anything less is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.