canon i950 - Ilford paper Q

Faiser

Hi,

I just made some horrible prints using Kodak Ultima Picture Paper. Not only
the color is always off, but the ink surface looks and feels all wrong and
there is lots of banding. When printing using the Kodak software, the
result is better - at least no more banding - but the image looks matte and
less detailled instead of glossy.
Anyway I wish I consulted this group before buying paper - had no idea in
the store that Kodak and Canon are not the best match.

I read lots of good comments on the Ilford Classic and Smooth glossy/perl
papers. Classic would be the better option for longevity. One of the pdf's
on the Ilford site recommends using 'glossy film' for paper settings.
However, the i950 will not do borderless when glossy film is selected.

can someone advice..

- is borderless possible with Classic glossy or pearl on the i950, ie. could
I use another paper type in the printer settings? (given my experience with
the Kodak paper I am reluctant to just buy and hope for the best)

- the printer settings for the Smooth glossy/pearl paper look better (paper
pro) and I also see many positive feedback for this paper. But do the
colors really fade faster ?

our local store has also Ilford boxes of 50 4x6" paper 'printasia Premium
glossy' or something. Not mentionned on their site, would it be any good?

thanks for your time

jean-claude Bertier

Hi,

I am very surprised with yours results using Kodak paper. I own myself a
Canon i850 which work with Kodak Premium Picture Paper and I get very good
colors, details and no banding. You should get better with a i950 ! Maybe
some setup (Photoshop, printer driver...) is not right?
I have also nice experience with Konica Pro and Canon PP101 and PR101, but
my "standard paper" is Kodak.

JCB

Traveling

I get great results printing Kodak paper on my i960

I do not use their ( Kodak) software to print but follow their suggestions

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...R=Canon+i950&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=99838

Check out these settings

: Hi,
:
[...]

Oh I tried similar settings but to no avail.
You know it's funny I thought the i950 and i960 were basically the same
printer with different housing. But apparantly that's not te case since
many paper manufacturers provider a different set of printer settings for
i950 and i960.
I suppose the i960 is more forgiving for the Kodak paper. I saw the i960
can handle the Kodak paper as Photo Paper Pro where the i950 needs selecting
Plain Paper. I think that's where the trouble begins.
For example the quality setting 1 (Fine) is not selectable with plain paper,
so trick is to set Pro paper first, then quality and then change paper back
to plain. If you look at the quality settings then, it will be reset to 3
or 4 so I don't know if it's also reset if I don't look.
Blue is oversaturated, some pics have a purple (!) cast, the surface of the
photo feels like the back side, and looking at the photo from an angle, you
see several stacked layers of ink. yuck!
Thanks anyway for the feedback

but does anyone have an idea about the my Ilford questions below?

B. Peg

You seem to have had the same results as I with the Ultima paper. I wasn't
impressed either and it was the first time I've seen banding from my Canon
i960.

Best seems to be Canon's paper and I am pleased to see more of it in the
larger sizes showing up at dealers.

B~

Traveling

NO answer on the Ilford BUT

KODAK changed the settings for their Ultima; Used to be Photo Paper Plus

[...]
: >
: > I do not use their ( Kodak) software to print but follow their
suggestions
: >
: >
:
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...R=Canon+i950&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=99838
: >
: > Check out these settings
: >
: > : > : Hi,
: > :
[...]

FredBillie

<< From: "B. Peg" bent*pegs69noospam*@att.net
Date: Sun, Jul 4, 2004 9:37 PM

You seem to have had the same results as I with the Ultima paper. I wasn't
impressed either and it was the first time I've seen banding from my Canon
i960.

Best seems to be Canon's paper and I am pleased to see more of it in the
larger sizes showing up at dealers.

B~Well, I can't speak for the Ilford Ultima paper but my Canon S900 likes the
ilford Gallerie paper just fine. (Sam's club for about $24 per 100).