Canon i560 quality better than i865?!

Giancarlo

I read on an Italian review that i560 quality is very good (for
example it is much better than i475, and this is obvious), and it is
even better than i860/i865!
The i865 is said to be faster, but i560 quality is said to be slightly
better. This sounds strange to me. Maybe this is referred to text only
(photo quality must be better on i865, there is one more black
cartridge just for this).
Here is the review webpage (in Italian):
http://pcpro.mytech.it/pcpro/schede/art006001039447_4.jsp

Usually I read that i865 was better, of course.
I also read somewhere that the i860/i865 avoids ugly stripes in fast
image printing.

So, what should I buy?
My intention was to buy a b/w laser (600 dpi) to print my text
documents. However, I must print graphs and logos also, and lasers are
terrible in printing gray images (even 1200 dpi lasers are not good
for this; and simple 600 dpi are ridicolous!).

That's why I think I will get a Canon inkjet: text document are
supposed to be not that far from laser quality, and on b/w
images-graphs-logos I get much better quality (and I may even print
some color photos sometimes).

Would i560 be enough for me? Or would i865 be better for my purpose?
Overall I am not sure. I just read this unusual review and now I am
even more confused.

Thanks for any comment.

Giancarlo

Christopher Pollard

I read on an Italian review that i560 quality is very good

It is. I bought one and I'm very pleased with it. Quite fast too, compared with
my previous Epson 480.
Would i560 be enough for me?

It would, but for high quality printouts you will need to use high quality
paper. If you're printing loads of stuff, the laser would work out cheaper to
run.

It seems like you want the laser for text, but also the 560 for colour stuff.
Why not buy the 560, see how it performs on the black, then buy the laser if you
feel you need to?

Chris Pollard

Giancarlo

Christopher Pollard wrote:

Thanks for you reply.
It is. I bought one and I'm very pleased with it. Quite fast too

Fine.
No problems with stripes in fast image priting?
I read that i560 still has this problems, while i865 does not.
It would, but for high quality printouts you will need to use high quality
paper. If you're printing loads of stuff, the laser would work out cheaper to
run.

This is what I believed, and it was my starting point.
However, I saw that lasers fail to make gray images. Their output is
really terrible. I could not believe it, but I noticed that this a big
problem even on good lasers, I mean 1200x1200 real dpi lasers (while
entry level lasers are 600x600 dpi!)
It seems like you want the laser for text, but also the 560 for colour stuff.

Actually I need to print gray only, but... lasers fail even on gray.
So I must get an inkjet, and so... OK, I will print some colors also
(more than I planned)
Why not buy the 560, see how it performs on the black, then buy the laser
if you feel you need to?

I posted my question just to avoid that :)
However, I may try that, if I can't get more info before buying the
new printer (that may be tomorrow).
Unfortunately, no shop makes me see a real i560 or i865 printing.

Since you have a i560, do you notice a big difference from laser text?
I have an old Canon S400 at this time, and the difference from a laser
is remarkable (on black text).

I guess that I don't really a need the i865: the i560 should be enough
for me (also because I risk that later I have to buy a laser *also*)

Thanks
Giancarlo

Giancarlo

And what about the new Canon Pixma 3000 and 4000?

The 3000 seems like the i560 and the 4000 seems like the i865,
but I guess they do *not* have the "Advanced Precision Color
Distribution Technology", that avoids banding/stripes.
I just read that i560 has this technology (I thought that only
i865 had this) . So: no banding with the i560?

Thanks
Giancarlo

Bill

Giancarlo said:
And what about the new Canon Pixma 3000 and 4000?

The 3000 seems like the i560 and the 4000 seems like the i865,
but I guess they do *not* have the "Advanced Precision Color
Distribution Technology", that avoids banding/stripes.
I just read that i560 has this technology (I thought that only
i865 had this) . So: no banding with the i560?

From what I can gather, none of the i-series suffer from banding once
the head alignment is done.

As for the new Pixma series, they are essentially the same as the
i-series but with duplexers built-in and a few other minor upgrades.
I've seen output from both lines and they are virtually identical.

PC Medic

Bill said:
From what I can gather, none of the i-series suffer from banding once
the head alignment is done.

As for the new Pixma series, they are essentially the same as the
i-series but with duplexers built-in and a few other minor upgrades.
I've seen output from both lines and they are virtually identical.

'iP' (or Pixma) line is much different than i series. Duplexing, dual paper
feeds, new printhead technologies (1 picoliter on some models), improved
feed, paper handling/type and sizes, etc

Bill

PC said:
'iP' (or Pixma) line is much different than i series. Duplexing, dual paper
feeds, new printhead technologies (1 picoliter on some models), improved
feed, paper handling/type and sizes, etc

That's mostly marketing hype. In reality, many of the components are the
same from the previous i-series model line. As I mentioned already
though, there are added features, engine speed has increased, duplexer,
etc. But don't expect the new line to blow the old models away. :)

Note the prices have dropped quite a bit on the i-series since the Pixma
line came out. Anyone looking for a good printer at a good price should
consider the i-560/860 series.

PC Medic

Bill said:
That's mostly marketing hype. In reality, many of the components are the
same from the previous i-series model line. As I mentioned already
though, there are added features, engine speed has increased, duplexer,
etc. But don't expect the new line to blow the old models away. :)

What's mostly marketing hype?

Giancarlo

I saw a text document and a picture printed by the Canon i560 and I
immediately bought it! The text quality is enough for me. And, of
course, pictures are very good.

Now... I hope that Pixma printers are *not* that good :) !

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Giancarlo

Bill

PC said:
What's mostly marketing hype?

All the "new" performance stuff and glowing info they mention. The Pixma
line has many of the parts of the i-series. Sure there are new parts,
like the duplexer, but beyond the new bits and pieces, the performance
is essentially the same.

Compare the photo output of an i560 to an iP 3000 and they are the same,
use the same four ink tanks, with basically the same printhead and
identical number of nozzles, etc. The iP 3000 pumps photos out a bit
faster due a faster on-board processor, and it handles the front paper
tray differently, but beyond the obvious, they perform very much the
same.

Having said that, the new Pixma line is a great one. The duplexer is
very handy for people who can't flip a few sheets over (business users)
and it holds various paper types without having to make major changes.
In a non-busy office environment or home use, they could be quite
useful.

But if you're a typical home user who just wants a decent printer and
doesn't need duplexing and different sheet holders, the i560/860 are
great printers at reduced prices. Have at them. :)

Josh

I saw a text document and a picture printed by the Canon i560 and I
immediately bought it! The text quality is enough for me. And, of
course, pictures are very good.

Does the i560 use separate ink tanks? are the heads integrated? I too
am interested to hear how the i560 compares with the new models.

Giancarlo

Does the i560 use separate ink tanks?

Yes, 4 tanks: 1 black + 3 colors.
By the way... I am using (on the i560) the same tanks I used on my old
Canon S400! (Canon says that the tanks for the i560 are different from
the ones that
are used in the S400, but I found that they are exactly the same, and
the
picture are perfect)
are the heads integrated?

I don't know: this question is too technical for me.
I just put the tanks on and I print, fast and wonderful.
I too am interested to hear how the i560 compares with the new
models.

I guess that the new models are similar: I imagine that the Pixma 3000
is
the i560 with more options added, and at a lower price!

Giancarlo

Lola MacLean

The printhead is not integrated on the i560. It is separate and must be
installed during set-up. Assume it can be replaced by the user, but with the
cost of the printer so low it's doubtful that many would opt to replace one.
Lola MacLean

PC Medic

Josh said:
(e-mail address removed) (Giancarlo) wrote in message

Does the i560 use separate ink tanks? are the heads integrated? I too
am interested to hear how the i560 compares with the new models.

The i560 uses 4 separate ink tanks. The printhead is removable, but should
not need to (nor should) be taken out unless service is needed, in which
case it is covered under the warranty. I have an i560 myself and text is
very good and photo excellent. If you do not need the duplexing or dual
paper path features of the new iP4000 then I think you would be quite happy
saving some money and going for the i560.