Cannot View Workgroup Computers - Anywhere

rjb

I have seen a couple of other posts similar to this but they have not
been any help so if anybody has had this same problem please get in
touch if yours was solved.

When in My Network Places I cannot access View Workgroup Computers on
my main XP desktop computer. Nor can I access the desktop from any
connected laptop computer. The computers freezes for a while then
displays the following message:

Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this service to find
out if you have access permissions. - The list of servers for his
workgroup is not currently available.

The bizarre thing is that the internet connection is shared between
two other laptops - one on win98 and the other on XP. The two laptops
can access each others files etc. perfectly. Even more bizarrely, the
main desktop was accessible for about two hours a few weeks ago - but
that was it.

I have read the other posts and nothing seems to have helped - my one
theory is this. In my haste to get a new desktop computer I went for
something a little cheaper and bought a good spec'd Packard Bell, but
with a Celeron processor. Is it possible that that is the problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me
bonkers, Rik.

John Stevens

I'm having the same problem. One machine is about 18 mos. old and had a VPN
client to an office domain installed for a while. The second machine is
brand new. I am getting the same message as you on the old machine. The
new machine can at least see itself in the workgroup.

Could this be a permissions problem?

John Stevens
(e-mail address removed)

John Stevens

I just found an article on the MS site. I haven't had a chance to try it
yet. Search for Q318030. It says either:

a.. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not turned on (enabled) on one or more
computers in the workgroup.

-and-
b.. The Computer Browser service is not started or is turned off
(disabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup.
John Stevens
john.stevens at comcast.net
jstevens at mlmic.com

rjb

John

Thanks for responding to the post, not going to be able to test that
till the weekend, but as soon as I do I'll repost to let you know if
it worked on my machine. It does sound as though we are having the
same problem.

RJB

rjb

Thanks for that bit of advice, did look like the right type of thing
to be doing but has not helped. I'm still looking for a solution and
will repost when I find something helpful.

In the mean time if anybody else out there has any ideas they would be
much appreciated.

Regards

rjb