Windows Vista Cannot update NVidia driver

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I am having a problem installing driver updates.

When I checked the NVidia website, it recommended a display update, (190.62 desktop Vista 32 bit English whql) so I downloaded it. But, when I try to install it, I get the usual install wizard, which gets almost to the halfway mark, but then it states that "no components were changed" and that if I "want to install the programme at a later time," I just need to run the installation again.

Nooooo! I want to install it NOW!

However, try as I might, I cannot get the blasted thing to install beyond the point I have mentioned. I am just going around in a loop! Three times I have downloaded it, just in case there was a problem somewhere, but three times I have failed to get anywhere with it.
wallbash.gif

I took screen snips to indicate what is (or rather is not) happening. So if anyone could pleeeeease give me a nudge to hint at where I'm going wrong, I would be most grateful.

Just for info - I have previously, and regularly, updated drivers without running into this fuss, which is why I'm feeling a tad annoyed.

Thank you for reading.
attachment.php

Attachments

• NVidia capture.JPG
    NVidia capture.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,007

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply TXD :thumb: it is helpful even to know that it isn't "just me" because my first suspect is always myself, lol.

I will go check out the link now :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Are you uninstalling the old drivers first?

Personally i'd do the following. (This is how i always upgrade my NV drivers)

(Make sure you have Driver Sweeper installed before you start)

1. Uninstall the drivers as normal.
2. Reboot in to safe mode. (F8)
3. Run Driver Sweeper and remove all traces of Nvidia's leftovers.
4. Reboot as normal and run Ccleaner.
5. Reboot as normal and install the new dirvers.
6. Reboot when asked to and your done.

Some may say this is overkill, and hey it maybe. But i've never had any issues with conflicts etc doing it this way and i've always done it like this.

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi V_R, to be honest, no, I have usually just installed drivers "over" the old ones. Blame ignorance for that.... plus a sinking feeling that if I uninstall old drivers and the new ones still fail, I shall be in the doo-doo!! But up until now, the luck of the ignorant has been with me, lol.

Sitting here tinkering, has, however, enabled me to solve the problem I was originally trying to solve with the driver update! (If that makes any sense?)

I thought there might be a graphics problem, because of an increasingly sticky cursor. (Originally posted about that back in April https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3792369.php) It had become a real pain recently, taking longer and longer to un-stick.

Fwiw, I found that it was seemingly not a graphics fault, but a Firefox issue. I have solved it by creating a new Firefox profile, so I guess "one-out-of-two" for today isn't too bad ;)

Thank you for your reply - I will give that a go when I've had a few hours break to restore my confidence :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Please tell us what your video card is, this is important. ;)

are you running Win 7

are you a profound gamer, if not, and you ain't using Win 7, don't bother with these drivers.

http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/190.62/190.62_WinVista_GeForce_Release_Notes.pdf

:user:

Hi Mucks - the card is NVidia GeForce 7900 :)o sorry, I should have mentioned that.) I am probably not a "profound" gamer, most days I will try spend a few hours in GW though... ;)

No, I'm not running Win 7 yet. When I looked for driver updates via Windows, it told me that I didn't need any... but I wondered if it was telling porkies, having seen that the update existed. Perhaps I should believe Windows this time? :nod:

I tried to look at your linky, but it is not working for me :confused: it just gives me the "file not found" message.

Thank you for your reply :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I suspect you don't need them, so leave them be, wait till you actually need them drivers.

I ain't bothering. ;)

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks :thumb: I shall indeed go along with the view, that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!" for now Lol. :D

Ask a Question