Cannot start Windows Defender

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Last night I downloaded Piriform's Speccy, (recommended in V_R's PC Review Essential Software) but was a bit surprised when it showed Windows Defender as "Disabled." I thought WD had just been quietly doing its own thing in the background.

When I tried to start WD manually, it tried, but when the progress bar reached just one third of the way, it threw up an error message.

attachment.php

I Googled the error and found a few solutions, including the ones here: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/windows-defender-error-message-0x800106ba-t2530470.html. Most suggested PC re-starts and re-enabling WD manually.

Did that, but still get exactly the same error. Other things I have tried are thorough system scans, using SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and MSE AV. The system seems to be clean.

In addition to the above, other security on here are Windows Firewall, plus the Netgear router is firewalled.

Does anyone think it possible that WD has been "knocked-out" by one of the other security scanners...? Or is it more likely to be some other piece of software that I should be looking for?

Embarrassingly, when I checked the Event Viewer, it actually looks as if WD might have been disabled since June of last year. (In mitigation, I really did think that it just got on with stuff in the background.... but okay, that is not a good excuse, so hanging head in shame here :blush:)

Thank you for reading. :)

Attachments

• Windows Defender.JPG
    Windows Defender.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 501

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows Defender is no longer used and therefore turned off by default if you use Windows Security Essentials. :)

Not a lot of people know that. :user:

Attachments

• windef.PNG
    windef.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 277

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Windows Defender is no longer used and therefore turned off by default if you use Windows Security Essentials. :)

Not a lot of people know that. :user:

Oh great! I was discussing this possibility with my other half before posting my question, but then thought, nah.. I'm probably wrong....! It's got to be something worse! :lol:

Thanks for that Mucks, much appreciated. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bloody hell! :eek:

When I opened this post I thought the pic in the first post had just popped up on my screen, lol

That gave me a bit of a turn missus, oh yes it did ;)

Carry on :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Bloody hell! :eek:

When I opened this post I thought the pic in the first post had just popped up on my screen, lol

That gave me a bit of a turn missus, oh yes it did ;)

Carry on :)

I'm sorry Sir Flopps - here's a little liquid compensation to calm the nerves :D
attachment.php
:cheers:

Attachments

• Guinness.jpg
    Guinness.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 476

Ask a Question