    i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set the
    pop3 and smtp, they are not responding

    need help please

    flightattn, Jan 1, 2008

  2. The mail server names are assigned by your mail provider or
    ISP. They will have a web page with that information.
    Or you can tell us who your mail provider is, and we can get you
    the mail server information.

    --
    Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)

    Gary VanderMolen, Jan 1, 2008

  3. Most common causes of this:
    1. Incorrect user ID and/or password
    2. "My Server requires authentication" not checked when it should be
    3. Incorrect POP3 and SMTP server names
    In Windows Live Mail, when you set up a new email account, it automatically
    finds and sets up the email POP3/SMTP server names (sometimes). I prefer
    Live Mail (free download) over Windows Mail for many reasons, give it a try!
    Pete

    William Peterson, Jan 1, 2008
  4. Post the complete error message.

    Gary VanderMolen, Jan 2, 2008
  5. flightattn

    flightattn Guest

    thank you i will try it.

    flightattn, Jan 3, 2008
  6. flightattn

    flightattn Guest

    thank you , i have hotmail acct as well a yahoo acct ,also gmail
    can you help with this

    flightattn, Jan 3, 2008
  7. flightattn

    Guest Guest

    Hotmail will not work under Windows Mail. You may want to
    download and install Windows Live Mail, where it will:

    http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

    Yahoo.com accounts cost extra to work with either one:

    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-35.html

    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-08.html

    Instructions for Gmail:

    http://email.about.com/od/windowsmailtips/qt/et_get_gmail.htm

    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273

    The instructions cover both the POP method and the IMAP method.
    Choose one, and don't get them mixed up.

    Guest, Jan 3, 2008
  8. flightattn

    Jay Smith Guest

    Did you solve your issue?