Cannot Send Outgoing Mail in Vista Windows Mail Personal Edition

Frank the error message I get is:
The connection to the server has failed.Server: 'smtp.comcast.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0E

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

mally422 said:
Frank the error message I get is:
The connection to the server has failed.Server: 'smtp.comcast.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0E

On the Servers tab check the box on the bottom for outgoing server:
"My server requires authentication".
Looks like you didn't do that.

I got rid of Mcafee but still nothing. I only have defender, could a problem
lie in there as well? Thanks. Whenever I send it justs says connecting but
after 5 minutes I get the error message.

Steve Cochran

Try removing your Mail account, closing and reopening WinMail, and then
adding it back again.

steve

190574 said:
Account: 'mail.fraservalleyptr.com', Server: 'mail.fraservalleyptr.com',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Login failed.', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

The above is what i get and then i get prompted telling me that my
username and password are not correct when they are. they are the same
settings as in my pc. it makes no sence
Have you tried entering your username with no CAPITAL LETTERS?
Have you tried with it both followed and not followed by the part of
your email address starting with @? Are you sure you use CAPITAL
and lowercase letters in the right places in your password? Some,
but not all, email servers are set to be picky about such things.

Also, if you have set Windows Mail to remember your password
and only see this problem when it's using its remembered password
you may be running into a quirk in what it does when you click
Apply after applying the remember password checkmark. It
forgets the password if you do this. If you think this is the case,
click on Tools, then Accounts, then your email account, then
Properties, then Servers. If there is no check mark in the box
before Remember password, click on this box. Don't click on
Apply, as you normally would after a change. Click at the end of
the password, then backspace over it, then enter the password
again, with any approvals needed. Don't click on Apply. Click
on OK, then Close.

Also, you might check on your settings for the outgoing mail server
since port 110 is seldom used for an outgoing email server. It is
often used for the incoming email server, though.

Check with the company running that server for the correct
settings. They don't seem to have put them on their web site,
if I was looking at the right web site.

Gary VanderMolen

Please be more descriptive than "can't send".
Is there an error message when you try? If so, copy it,
then paste the complete error message into a reply here.

Are you sending from home when this problem happens?

Jamize24 said:
I have a problem i cant send my emails... I have cox my outgoing is
smtp.west.cox.net can you please help me
Thanks
Jared Mize

--
Jamize24
Jamize24's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50140

http://forums.techarena.in
Does this help?

<http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/as...sprt_cid=c2f1899f-492e-4718-8b8a-e6a391730f90>

Click on the Outbox, and if you find any messages there, move them to
the Drafts folder or delete them. If any refuse to do either, download
and install this fix, with Windows Mail not running:

Although it's labelled as for mail stuck in the Outbox, it also works in
other folders. If you don't know whether you have a 32-bit version
of Vista or a 64-bit version, try the hotfix for the 32-bit version first.
Certain common antivirus programs, such as most of those from
Norton or McAfee, tend to cause stuck messages and other problems
in Windows Mail, although seldom immediately, so if you have such a
program, remember where to find the hotfix, and hope it will install
again if you need it again. The Vista SP1 update contains this hotfix
and more, but takes longer to install. A recent version of the Trend
antivirus program also causes assorted problems in Windows Mail.

If this doesn't fix your problem, send yourself a short message, and
if you get any error messages, right click on them and copy the entire
error messages to your next message.

JG

I applied the change to my account as noted below and still receive the pop
up message "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period
of inactivity. Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'pop.east.cox.net',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any other suggestions?
thank you
JGRACI

Gary VanderMolen

That's a receive error, not a send error.
The error message shows the account to be configured for port 995
with SSL. The incoming server should be port 110 without SSL.

Gary VanderMolen

Change port 25 to port 80 for the outgoing (SMTP) server.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"cclark8174" wrote in message

I am having a problem sending email with attachments and get the
following message:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Re: SDAR Membership
Forms', Account: 'pop.secureserver.net (1)', Server:
'smtpout.secureserver.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have no clue what to do about it. I tried turning off my AV but that
didn't help.

Gary VanderMolen

Please post a verbatim copy of the error you get with port 80.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Peter Foldes

You need to uninstall your Anti Virus and then re-install it without the email
integration (scanning) option. Otherwise you email scanning will not turn of by just
trying to disable it

Norton or MacAfee by any chance

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Gary VanderMolen

Please do so. I'll be surprised if Kaspersky is the problem here, but
it could be.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)