cannot send email

Margaret Upton

I have been using Outlook 2003 without any problems and suddenly over the
last 2 days the following message appears :-

Task 'mail.btinternet.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The
connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues,
contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The
server responded: 553 From: address not verified; see
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html'

Does anyone know what to do please, would be grateful for some help.

Margaret

Mark

Hi Margaret

Think there could be something going on as i'm getting the same problem as
well and have gone through everything i can think of. It seems to be a
feature for yahoo addresses where you have to verify what other email
addresses you would send from, but it shouldn't apply for the bt smtp
servers.

Guess just wait and see if it gets fixed

Mark

VanguardLH

in message
I have been using Outlook 2003 without any problems and suddenly over
the last 2 days the following message appears :-

Task 'mail.btinternet.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) :
'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem
continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service
provider (ISP). The server responded: 553 From: address not
verified; see
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html'

Is the e-mail account defined in Outlook configured to authenticate to
the SMTP server?

Margaret Upton

Thanks for that, good to know someone is having the same problem. Will wait
and see what happens. Thanks again.

Margaret

Brian Tillman

Margaret Upton said:
I have been using Outlook 2003 without any problems and suddenly over
the last 2 days the following message appears :-

Other posts indicate that the Microsoft updates from last Tuesday may be the
culprit. Uninstall the ones related to Outlook and see if that makes a
difference.

NigelRS

Hi Brian,

How do you un-install them? I have Office 2007 and 2003 on another laptop
and this error started today with me. I have to verify my btconnect outgoing
smtp and the emails I am sending out can be to anyone from hotmail to a
domain registered eamil......nothing to do with Yahoo....so where is it
coming from?

etexier

i use outlook 2008 for mac and have been receiving a similar message "From:
address not verified; see
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html" since
two days ago. On the mac this error is tagged as Error: -17099 but can't find
anything online that references this particular number. I've looked at that
Yahoo page but doesn't make much sense as i believe it assumes you have a
Yahoo mail account which i don't think i have unless i was issued with one
when i signed up with BT??

Brian Tillman

etexier said:
i use outlook 2008 for mac and have been receiving a similar message
"From: address not verified; see
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html"
since two days ago. On the mac this error is tagged as Error: -17099
but can't find anything online that references this particular
number. I've looked at that Yahoo page but doesn't make much sense as
i believe it assumes you have a Yahoo mail account which i don't
think i have unless i was issued with one when i signed up with BT??

British Telecom is just like AT&T in that regard. Both subcontract email
services to Yahoo. If you have a BT high-speed internet connection, you
should have a Yahoo mail account whose username is yourBTname@yourBTdomain

Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi
BT has been a naughty boy! It has changed the way in which it processes email and you can no longer send mail via un-verified email addresses AND IT Didn't Tell Us! So, if like me, you use a different TLD for your email to send mail via BT you will have to verify this address. Fortunately this is very simple, all you will need to do is to log into your BT yahoo email account as if you wanted to use webmail, and click on the envelope that takes you to your mail, on the right side you will see 'Options' click it and follow the instructions to verify your mail address, when you have done all that is asked of you, do not navigate away from this page, but minimise it and go to your mail inbox and await the confirmation mail from BT which will have your code number to verify the address, block and copy this code and go back to the minimised page, copy it into the box at the bottom and all in your garden should bloom for you. You can ignore the subsequent email asking you to do this which will surely follow.
The method of verification changes slightly if you have upgraded your BT mail recently

P.Simple

I run Vista Home Premium, and use Outlook 2003 for its advantages of
combining mail, contacts and calendar etc., with the ability to synchronise
with an iPAQ.

Recently, I discovered that a number of emails I had sent never arrived,
though they appeared in the ‘Sent Items’ folder.

First, I tried a ‘System Restore to about 10 days earlier, but this never
completed and I was forced to return to the original date.

The only change that seems to have occurred around that time was a regular
update of Norton 360 or an overnight automatic Vista update and restart.

After reporting the problem to my ISP (Talktalk), a technical guy called me
and a spent an hour on the phone trying various tests. By getting me to use
Talktalk Webmail to send a message to myself, he said it confirmed that the
server was operating properly. Then by sending messages by Talktalk Webmail
to myself on Outlook and a Googlemail account I use, that messages get
through to Googlemail, Webmail and Outlook.

However they found that if, in sending a message in Outlook, I click’ New’
then ‘To’ and select an address from the drop down menu, the message
vanishes, though it appears in the ‘Sent Items’ folder.

If I click ‘New’ and enter the recipients address manually the message
arrives OK. From this they deduced that Norton 360 was, in some way blocking
outgoing emails and suggested contacting Norton.

Norton said this was unlikely but suggested temporarily de-installing Norton
360 to see if the problem persisted. It did persist, so for safety, I have
re-installed Norton.

With the advantages of Outlook it is annoying to have to enter addresses
manually and request a receipt or switch to another mailing programme with
which I am not familiar.

Any ideas?

Brian Tillman

P.Simple said:
I run Vista Home Premium, and use Outlook 2003 for its advantages of
combining mail, contacts and calendar etc., with the ability to
synchronise with an iPAQ.

You should really be starting your own thread instead of piggy-backing on
someone else's.
Recently, I discovered that a number of emails I had sent never
arrived, though they appeared in the ‘Sent Items’ folder.

If they're in the Sent Items folder, then Outlook has transferred them to
the outgoing server and the problem lies with the server, or whatever
Outlook believes to be the server.
The only change that seems to have occurred around that time was a
regular update of Norton 360 or an overnight automatic Vista update
and restart.

Symantec products are known to play poorly with Outlook. In general,
scanners inject themselves between Outlok and the real server, pretending to
be the server for the client and pretending to be a client for the real
server. Make sure you are NOT scanning mail, especially outgoing mail.
Were I you, I'd uninstall the Norton product and reinstall it without any
mail integration. You will be just as safe.
After reporting the problem to my ISP (Talktalk), a technical guy
called me and a spent an hour on the phone trying various tests. By
getting me to use Talktalk Webmail to send a message to myself, he
said it confirmed that the server was operating properly.

They're not being accurate. Your being able to send mail via the web
interface says absolutely nothing about the operation of their SMTP server
and they know it. If you uninstalled the Norton product and the problem
persisted, it is very likely to be the SMTP server's problem. Your ISP just
doesn't feel like admitting it. You can prove it, to, if you wish, by
enabling diagnostic logging. It will show you exactly what Outlook and the
server are swaying to each other and prove that the server accepted the
message. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831053/en-us

JN

Have had a similar problem and so called by ISP BT. After 45 mins 'on hold I got through!

There must be a problem their end, becuase we went through a load of different permutations and the result was that all we had to do was change our 'Out Going Mail server'(SMTP) setting from 'mail.btinternet.com' to the following:

Outgoing Mail Server - 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com'. I tried it and it now works perfectly.

Hope this helps :p

P.Simple

Sorry if I piggy-backed. As a total novice I had had difficulty in starting
a thread and assumed the technique was to join in a topic of similar problems.

Thank you for the advice I'll keep working on it as you suggest.

Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi Peter
You might also like to do a little research here, which might just be helpful.....
http://talktalkhell.wordpress.com/2006/09/06/issues-sending-mail/

Jeep

--
peter simple

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> P.Simple wrote:
>
> > I run Vista Home Premium, and use Outlook 2003 for its advantages of
> > combining mail, contacts and calendar etc., with the ability to
> > synchronise with an iPAQ.

> You should really be starting your own thread instead of piggy-backing on
> someone else's.
>
> > Recently, I discovered that a number of emails I had sent never
> > arrived, though they appeared in the ‘Sent Items’ folder.

> If they're in the Sent Items folder, then Outlook has transferred them to
> the outgoing server and the problem lies with the server, or whatever
> Outlook believes to be the server.
>
> > The only change that seems to have occurred around that time was a
> > regular update of Norton 360 or an overnight automatic Vista update
> > and restart.

> Symantec products are known to play poorly with Outlook. In general,
> scanners inject themselves between Outlok and the real server, pretending to
> be the server for the client and pretending to be a client for the real
> server. Make sure you are NOT scanning mail, especially outgoing mail.
> Were I you, I'd uninstall the Norton product and reinstall it without any
> mail integration. You will be just as safe.
>
> > After reporting the problem to my ISP (Talktalk), a technical guy
> > called me and a spent an hour on the phone trying various tests. By
> > getting me to use Talktalk Webmail to send a message to myself, he
> > said it confirmed that the server was operating properly.

> They're not being accurate. Your being able to send mail via the web
> interface says absolutely nothing about the operation of their SMTP server
> and they know it. If you uninstalled the Norton product and the problem
> persisted, it is very likely to be the SMTP server's problem. Your ISP just
> doesn't feel like admitting it. You can prove it, to, if you wish, by
> enabling diagnostic logging. It will show you exactly what Outlook and the
> server are swaying to each other and prove that the server accepted the
> message. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831053/en-us
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Irene

I had the same problem as this between 11th -25th March - having tried every forum solution, verified every email address with BT Yahoo, changed servers to Yahoo instead of BTinternet and nothing worked. I had 'invisible' emails trying to send which caused problems for sending emails and realised I must have read receipts stuck in virtual space after the last Microsoft update. Anyway, after much hair-pulling I found a solution on this website for deleting read-receipts. Installed and ran the program, followed the instructions to delete 6 read receipts in the queue and my Outlook is back to working perfectly. If you have 'Sending 1 of ...' constantly on the status bar, then you may have the same.

The link to delete a read receipt is http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deletereadreceipt.htm - I've never been so relieved when it worked!!