Cannot modify properties of *.tif in Adobe Photoshop

Reaction score
Here’s a post to a forum on Adobe Photoshop CS2 (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/545476?tstart=0) . I’m reposting here to see if anyone else has had this similar problem & have developed a work around.

System: Photoshop CS2 on MS Window XP Home Edition.

I scanned several pictures in *.tif format. I cropped some of the pictures in Photoshop. After doing so, I received the following error message after attempting to save info placed in the properties section of the files cropped in Photoshop.

"Changes to Summary properties could not be saved: access has been denied. The file may be marked read-only or may be in use by another application." This only happened to the files cropped using Photoshop & I could successfully save this info in the properties section of the other files.

The files are marked as read-only, and photoshop is not open. Rebooting does not fix it & neither does copying the files to another computer.

I need to save information in the properties section of the file & need to change that information over time.

In searching on google, I see other people have had the same problem with Photoshop.

Is there a fix for this issue? This only happens to *.tif file when editing image in Photoshop. Also, this is not an issue when using Photoshop on *.jpg files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's a work around to this issue. Opening the file in IrfanView, then saving it will allow subsequent saving of edits to the properties section of a *.tif file previously edited in Adobe Photoshop.

Reaction score
As a followup to this workaround - it appears IrfanView does not support higher level Bit Depths, so it seems that it saves at 24 if your *.tif file created from Adobe has a Bit Depth of higher then 24. Posting this as FYI in case Bit Depth is an issue.

Ask a Question