cannot install XP Home

dave

I have a new MB and memory, trying to install XP..It was
installed last week for a few days and could not upgrade
to XP SP1a, an into problems in IE that it coninued to
have fatal errors. ...ended up reformatting HD and
reloading XP...ran chkdsk /r prior to loading to see if
any hard drive issues, Now running into problem of not
being able to load XP..I make it to about 14 minutes left
when it reboots and starts over..At the time of...
registering components. I disconnected every device and
using only MB video. no sound, no AGP, no LAN...

Also reflashed BIOS last week prior to original install..

components...
MB - Soyo SY-k7VMP2 - new
Hard Drive - 20GB
512M DDR 2700 - new

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Setup Stops Responding or Displays an Unrecoverable Error Message

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"dave" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I have a new MB and memory, trying to install XP..It was
| installed last week for a few days and could not upgrade
| to XP SP1a, an into problems in IE that it coninued to
| have fatal errors. ...ended up reformatting HD and
| reloading XP...ran chkdsk /r prior to loading to see if
| any hard drive issues, Now running into problem of not
| being able to load XP..I make it to about 14 minutes left
| when it reboots and starts over..At the time of...
| registering components. I disconnected every device and
| using only MB video. no sound, no AGP, no LAN...
|
| Also reflashed BIOS last week prior to original install..
|
| components...
| MB - Soyo SY-k7VMP2 - new
| Hard Drive - 20GB
| 512M DDR 2700 - new

dave

Had the same problem, turned out to be a memory issue,
installed crucial memory (used what they recommended for
mobo) end of problem.

Gerald Thompson

Check the CPU bus speed setting. Initially, the jumper
(JP2) was set to 'Auto' from the manufacturer (L4VXA2 P4
motherboard; Celeron 2.66 GHz CPU, 400 MHz FSB) Changed it
to '533' (I'm running one stick of 512 MB DDR RAM. When I
first started XP and W2K installs, I first had to disable
L1/L2 cache which of course is really slow, and after
reboot re-enabled it - still crashed. Resetting the mobo's
bus speed corrected the problem.
(e-mail address removed)
http://realcareers.netfirms.com
http://realcareers.netfirms.com/mycomputer.html