Cannot get notebook w/XP(H) to connect to Desktop XP(P)??

G

Have a 3 node (2 at the moment) network NT4.0 workstation, XP Pro Desktop and XP Home Notebook. XP Pro talks to NT40 and visssssa verrrrsa. Neither sees the notebook and notebook sees neither either. Workgroup name on all 3 are the same. All have 10/100 Enet cards. Notebook also has a wireless connection to a wireless connection upstairs (sharing the inet/cable). When I ask the notebook to "Add a network place" I get the wizard and follow through the process and it sees the workgroup and then it sees all 3 systems. Then I click on one of the other two systems and nothing........what's up??

H

Hans-Georg Michna

JerryD said:
Have a 3 node (2 at the moment) network NT4.0 workstation, XP Pro Desktop and XP Home Notebook. XP Pro talks to NT40 and visssssa verrrrsa. Neither sees the notebook and notebook sees neither either. Workgroup name on all 3 are the same. All have 10/100 Enet cards. Notebook also has a wireless connection to a wireless connection upstairs (sharing the inet/cable). When I ask the notebook to "Add a network place" I get the wizard and follow through the process and it sees the workgroup and then it sees all 3 systems. Then I click on one of the other two systems and nothing........what's up??

Jerry,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

G

Hans, I appreciate the reply. Problem solved thanks to the info you referred me to. It was the virus protection software Trend Micro PC-Cillin that came on the desktop system. Uninstalled it and the network started doing what it was supposed to with no more coaxing. Thanks Again!
----- Hans-Georg Michna wrote: -----

JerryD said:

Jerry,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

H

Hans-Georg Michna

JerryD said:
Hans, I appreciate the reply. Problem solved thanks to the info you referred me to. It was the virus protection software Trend Micro PC-Cillin that came on the desktop system. Uninstalled it and the network started doing what it was supposed to with no more coaxing. Thanks Again!

Jerry,

and thanks for reporting! It's always good for me to learn what
it was.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question