Cannot find the file 'msconfig'

sthardy

I need to get to Startup and when I enter the command
msconfig in the Run window, I get the following error
message: "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' (or one of its
components). Make sure the path and filename are correct
and that all required libraries are available." All
critical updates are complete and no alterations have been
made to the system.

Dave Patrick

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

:
| I need to get to Startup and when I enter the command
| msconfig in the Run window, I get the following error
| message: "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' (or one of its
| components). Make sure the path and filename are correct
| and that all required libraries are available." All
| critical updates are complete and no alterations have been
| made to the system.

jillgall

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control
Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

:
| I need to get to Startup and when I enter the command
| msconfig in the Run window, I get the following error
| message: "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' (or one of its
| components). Make sure the path and filename are correct
| and that all required libraries are available." All
| critical updates are complete and no alterations have been
| made to the system.

.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH< I'LL COPY THE FILE FROM XP. THANKS

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

What Operating system are you running?
Msconfig is not available in Windows 2000. It is available in Windows XP.
Joe Griffin [MS]
Windows 2000 Server Setup Team

rights.