Cannot delete folder

O

Oscar Brown

I downloaded a rar file (15 mb) and once I unpacked it on my desktop (it would show 0 mb wh=
en I tried the properties tab) it would not allow the contents of the folder to be seen n=
or to be delete it. The message I got was =E2=80=9Cunable to delete the file=E2=80=9D=
and =E2=80=9Cit is used by another program=E2=80=9D. I tried the following to delet=
e the file to no avail however: 1. DOS commands 2. The =E2=80=9CUnlocker=E2=80=9D so=
ftware 3. Tried to see what new files were created on that day (could not find anything=
suspicious) so I can delete them 4. Looked at the startup programs (could not find it t=
here) 5. The =E2=80=9Crestore at any earlier date=E2=80=9D feature of windows XP 7.=
Looked in the registry (could not find anything) 8. Tried to see what processes were r=
unning so I can terminated it but could not locate anything 9. Tried the Ultimate Trou=
bleshooter software to locate any suspicious running processes 10. PC tools =E2=80=
=9CSpyware doctor with Antivirus=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CThreadfire=E2=80=9D, E=
set antivirus (it could not scan the folder because it appears to be locked), Avir ant=
ivirus, Panta microscan and XoftspySE and I got no malware detection what-so-ever.=

Further info is that the folder can be moved around (Into other directories and folde=
rs but not into the trashcan) and it has the =E2=80=98Read only=E2=80=9D indication=
checked (But it cannot be unchecked)
I have administrator privileges on the windows xp system and if anyone could help I wo=
uld appreciate it.

G

Should be able to delete it in Safe Mode.
"How to Boot in Safe Mode"
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/capture/safemode.html

--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the
rest of your life.

Oscar Brown said:
I downloaded a rar file (15 mb) and once I unpacked it on my desktop (it would show 0 mb when I tried the properties tab) it would not allow the contents of the folder to be seen nor to be delete it. The message I got was “unable to delete the file†and “it is used by another programâ€. I tried the following to delete the file to no avail however: 1. DOS commands 2. The “Unlocker†software 3. Tried to see what new files were created on that day (could not find anything suspicious) so I can delete them 4. Looked at the startup programs (could not find it there) 5. The “restore at any earlier date†feature of windows XP 7. Looked in the registry (could not find anything) 8. Tried to see what processes were running so I can terminated it but could not locate anything 9. Tried the Ultimate Troubleshooter software to locate any suspicious running processes 10. PC tools “Spyware doctor with Antivirus†and “Threadfireâ€, Eset antivirus (it could not scan the folder because it appears
to be locked), Avir antivirus, Panta microscan and XoftspySE and I got no malware detection what-so-ever.

Ask a Question